-   -   VMWare Sandbox (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/185091-vmware-sandbox.html)

"Thom Paine" 10-30-2008 06:37 PM

VMWare Sandbox

I need to experiment with ldap for a site I manage, and wondered if
vmware would be a good way to go for some testing.

My current server is RHEL3, which is getting dated, and I think that I
should refresh this server entirely in the move to ldap.
We need to have an ldap server for publishing email addresses for a
VPN for a nursing home that the upstream can harvest and we can browse
to send confidential patient records.

RHEL3 prollie won't cut it, so I'm considering moving to CentOS5.

If I get a nice working test environment working, I wondered about
running the server on VMWare, because the hardware will likely need to
be refreshed in 2 years anyways. Copying the vmware file and the data
to a new server would make for a fast upgrade.

Any feedback on what I am attempting to do here? Any other
recommendations on how I should tackle this?

Currently I'm using Samba 3 with passdb. It's nothing fancy, but it works.
We have about 20 XP machines here.

The server also hosts mail as well.

--
-=/>Thom

Phil Schaffner 10-30-2008 07:10 PM

VMWare Sandbox

Thom Paine wrote:

I need to experiment with ldap for a site I manage, and wondered if
vmware would be a good way to go for some testing.

Yes.

My current server is RHEL3, which is getting dated, and I think that I
should refresh this server entirely in the move to ldap.
We need to have an ldap server for publishing email addresses for a
VPN for a nursing home that the upstream can harvest and we can browse
to send confidential patient records.

RHEL3 prollie won't cut it, so I'm considering moving to CentOS5.

If I get a nice working test environment working, I wondered about
running the server on VMWare, because the hardware will likely need to
be refreshed in 2 years anyways. Copying the vmware file and the data
to a new server would make for a fast upgrade.

Should work if you can afford the performance hit of VMware overhead.
Would probably want to use bridged networking.

Any feedback on what I am attempting to do here? Any other
recommendations on how I should tackle this?

Currently I'm using Samba 3 with passdb. It's nothing fancy, but it works.
We have about 20 XP machines here.

The server also hosts mail as well.

Does not seem like a big load. Pretty easy to give it a try. You can
even DL a CentOS VMware pre-built image for Player and bypass installation:

http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/
http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/

Phil

"Akemi Yagi" 10-30-2008 07:35 PM

VMWare Sandbox

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:10 PM, Phil Schaffner
<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Does not seem like a big load. Pretty easy to give it a try. You can even
> DL a CentOS VMware pre-built image for Player and bypass installation:
>
> http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/
> http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/

For a CentOS VMware pre-built image, look no further ...

http://people.centos.org/tru/vmware/

Akemi

Rainer Duffner 10-30-2008 08:13 PM

VMWare Sandbox