Old 10-31-2008, 02:59 AM
John R Pierce

Default VMWare Sandbox

nate wrote:

ESX is not based on linux at all. ESX(not ESXi) includes
a service console that is based off of RHEL-3 though
that is for management only, virtualization runs entirely
within the hypervisor which is transparent to the user.

I've always been curious, in ESX, what manages the physical IO devices,
what provides the actual hardware drivers for things like fiberchannel
cards, network adapters, and so forth?

does ESX have all its own direct hardware support?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Matt Hyclak

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:59:46PM -0700, John R Pierce enlightened us:
> nate wrote:
> >ESX is not based on linux at all. ESX(not ESXi) includes
> >a service console that is based off of RHEL-3 though
> >that is for management only, virtualization runs entirely
> >within the hypervisor which is transparent to the user.
> >

> I've always been curious, in ESX, what manages the physical IO devices,
> what provides the actual hardware drivers for things like fiberchannel
> cards, network adapters, and so forth?
>
> does ESX have all its own direct hardware support?

Yes, which is why it runs on such limited hardware.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Systems and Operations

Old 10-31-2008, 01:50 PM
The_Eye_In_The_Sky

John R Pierce wrote:

does ESX have all its own direct hardware support?

Yes it does. You shall be OK if you want to go for branded hardware from
Sun, Dell, HP, IBM etc. But for the whitebox PC, it is quite (and
sometimes costly) to get the right combination.

My best combo are now :
a. get the Intel based system, C2D
b. with ICH7 or above I/O controller for SATA disk
c. get the Intel EtherExpress 1000BaseT OEM
d. Put the RAM at least 4GB
e. Get the non Gigabyte motherboard, since their motherboard is having
problem to boot from USB, if you want to try the ESX 3.5i, instead of
ESX 3.5
f. Get the ESX 3.5 or ESX 3.5i, since they can use the SATA disk for the
VMFS storage, or provide another iSCSI target for that.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Karanbir Singh

Dag Wieers wrote:
I guess this should become part of the virtualization SIG. Maybe a good
listing of different virtualization projects on the SIG page would be a
good start ?

yes, that sounds good.

I don't know if Daniel is still involved, but I am sure that help from
others would be very helpful !

Daniel did say he will keep an eye on things, and Tim has offered to
help run the VirtSIG. so yes, there should be traction there at the
moment. I know Tru and Akemi are also active there.