Old 10-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Jerry Geis

Default no network kernel boot option

I am looking for a kernel boot option that specifies "nonetwork"
I have found in searching the nousb - nopcmcia etc.... but I have not
found one for nonetwork.

Is there one and what is it called?

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 10-30-2008, 06:09 PM
Fabian Arrotin

Jerry Geis a écrit :

I am looking for a kernel boot option that specifies "nonetwork"
I have found in searching the nousb - nopcmcia etc.... but I have not
found one for nonetwork.

Is there one and what is it called?

You can create profiles with system-config-network if needed and modify
grub to reflect which network profile you want to use .. But i admit
that since NetworkManager is there i don't use the profiles anymore :
just use NM and just say that the nic doesn't have to start at boot
(onboot=no) : if there is a connection detected, NM will use it

Old 10-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Jerry Geis

Jerry Geis a écrit :
>/ I am looking for a kernel boot option that specifies "nonetwork"
/>/ I have found in searching the nousb - nopcmcia etc.... but I have not
/>/ found one for nonetwork.

/>/ Is there one and what is it called?
/>/
/You can create profiles with system-config-network if needed and modify
grub to reflect which network profile you want to use .. But i admit
that since NetworkManager is there i don't use the profiles anymore :
just use NM and just say that the nic doesn't have to start at boot
(onboot=no) : if there is a connection detected, NM will use it

Thanks I was aware of those. however I was looking for a method on the
kernel
boot line (as in I am installing and I dont want the network driver to
load).

I can accomplish this with noprobe but then everything is gone.
There are individual items like nousb nopcmcia and I was looking and
have not found

one for nonetwork.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM
Phil Schaffner

Jerry Geis wrote:
Thanks I was aware of those. however I was looking for a method on the
kernel
boot line (as in I am installing and I dont want the network driver to
load).

I can accomplish this with noprobe but then everything is gone.
There are individual items like nousb nopcmcia and I was looking and
have not found

one for nonetwork.

Closest kernel boot parameter seems to be the netdev= option. Could
perhaps use it with the dummy.ko device - don't know the details of how
that would work.

See:
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-*/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt
/usr/share/doc/kernel-doc-*/Documentation/networking/net-modules.txt

Phil