Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 AM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Default Using CentOS repos in a RHEL machine

Hi

I have 2 machines with RHEL 5.2 and I would like to use CentOS repos. I
would like to know if the document "Using CentOS Repositories on RHEL
Machines"[1] can be used in CentOS 5.2 without too much modifications.

Thanks

Marcelo

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/YumOnRHEL

Old 10-30-2008, 11:02 AM
Matt Hyclak

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:48:53AM +0000, Marcelo M. Garcia enlightened us:
> I have 2 machines with RHEL 5.2 and I would like to use CentOS repos. I
> would like to know if the document "Using CentOS Repositories on RHEL
> Machines"[1] can be used in CentOS 5.2 without too much modifications.
>
> Thanks
>
> Marcelo
>
> [1] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/YumOnRHEL

You shouldn't need to bother since RHEL 5 has yum. Just add your repo
definitions into your /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

The only limitation I have been able to see with RHEL's yum is the lack of
the priorities plugin. You can use protectbase as a replacement. If I get a
chance today, maybe I'll try to update that wiki page.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Systems and Operations

Old 10-30-2008, 03:47 PM
MHR

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 5:02 AM, Matt Hyclak <hyclak@ohio.edu> wrote:

> The only limitation I have been able to see with RHEL's yum is the lack of
> the priorities plugin. You can use protectbase as a replacement.

Well, sort of - priorities is far more flexible, so protectbase is
sort of a crippled replacement at best.

But, at least it's there....

mhr

Old 10-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Matt Hyclak

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 09:47:23AM -0700, MHR enlightened us:
> > The only limitation I have been able to see with RHEL's yum is the lack of
> > the priorities plugin. You can use protectbase as a replacement.
>
> Well, sort of - priorities is far more flexible, so protectbase is
> sort of a crippled replacement at best.
>
> But, at least it's there....

Agreed, but because of the way the rhn plugin works in yum, you can't assign
a priority to it. Apparently they've modified the plugin to set protect=1 on
RHN channels, so if you add other repos and don't want core system packages
replaced, set protect=0 and enable protectbase.

Matt

Old 11-05-2008, 03:08 PM
"Marcelo M. Garcia"

Matt Hyclak wrote:

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:48:53AM +0000, Marcelo M. Garcia enlightened us:
I have 2 machines with RHEL 5.2 and I would like to use CentOS repos. I
would like to know if the document "Using CentOS Repositories on RHEL
Machines"[1] can be used in CentOS 5.2 without too much modifications.

Thanks

Marcelo

[1] http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/PackageManagement/YumOnRHEL

You shouldn't need to bother since RHEL 5 has yum. Just add your repo
definitions into your /etc/yum.repos.d directory.

The only limitation I have been able to see with RHEL's yum is the lack of
the priorities plugin. You can use protectbase as a replacement. If I get a
chance today, maybe I'll try to update that wiki page.

Matt

Hi

A basic question, is enough to copy the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ or is
there another better way?

Thanks

Marcelo