Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
MHR

Default Question re RHEL 5.3

I've heard now from more than one source about problems with CentOS
(and RH) at least up through 5.2 w.r.t. SATA drive handling, and I've
even reported on this myself in this list before.

My question is, do we have any idea if 5.3 has any improvements in this area?

One of my cohorts here, who happens to be a Fedora fan, says that
these problems are fixed in F9, but I have grave concerns about
putting an enterprise lifeline main application on any Fedora release.
If 5.3 solves these issues, I'd much rather go with that.

Any ideas? Any places I might look to see for myself?

Thanks.

mhr

Old 10-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Karanbir Singh

MHR wrote:

I've heard now from more than one source about problems with CentOS
(and RH) at least up through 5.2 w.r.t. SATA drive handling, and I've
even reported on this myself in this list before.

My question is, do we have any idea if 5.3 has any improvements in this area?

do you have any bug report numbers for these issues ?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:25 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:01 PM, MHR <mhullrich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've heard now from more than one source about problems with CentOS
> (and RH) at least up through 5.2 w.r.t. SATA drive handling, and I've
> even reported on this myself in this list before.
>
> My question is, do we have any idea if 5.3 has any improvements in this area?
>
> One of my cohorts here, who happens to be a Fedora fan, says that
> these problems are fixed in F9, but I have grave concerns about
> putting an enterprise lifeline main application on any Fedora release.
> If 5.3 solves these issues, I'd much rather go with that.
>
> Any ideas? Any places I might look to see for myself?

The only issue I've ever seen has been with the onboard fakeraid stuff
more and more vendors seem to be adding. I've been using SATA disks
with centos since the early 4.x days without issue, so you have me at
a bit of a loss here. I'd say if anything it's due to controller
support, and much of that can be chalked up to what hardware vendors
are pawning off as 'controllers' these days.

George Orwell