-   -   Installer stopped short (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/184426-installer-stopped-short.html)

Niki Kovacs 10-29-2008 08:54 PM

Installer stopped short

Hi,

I just tried to install a CentOS 5 desktop on very recent hardware, an
Acer desktop machine. The installer stopped short very early. I gave
Ubuntu 8.04 a shot, and it installed without a problem. Now what can I
do about this?

Is there a way to use some "enhanced" kernel (like the centos.plus
kernel) to perform the install? I guess what's missing there is a
specific driver for something (SATA drive? Processor?).

Any suggestions?

Niki

Scott Silva 10-29-2008 09:12 PM

Installer stopped short

on 10-29-2008 2:54 PM Niki Kovacs spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> I just tried to install a CentOS 5 desktop on very recent hardware, an
> Acer desktop machine. The installer stopped short very early. I gave
> Ubuntu 8.04 a shot, and it installed without a problem. Now what can I
> do about this?

1) Try the RHEL 5.3 Beta and see if it is any better. Report your findings to
the list.

2) See if the manufacturer has a driver disk for the hardware (not likely).

3) Use Ubuntu until 5.3 comes out, and see if it (CentOS) supports the
hardware later.

> Is there a way to use some "enhanced" kernel (like the centos.plus
> kernel) to perform the install? I guess what's missing there is a
> specific driver for something (SATA drive? Processor?).

There are some boot options to try, but you have a good chance that CentOS
won't support your hardware. There isn't any way to use a different installer
kernel without learning how to build install disks with Anaconda. It is not
the most difficult thing in the world to do, but it is not the easiest either.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Spiro Harvey 10-29-2008 09:14 PM

Installer stopped short

> I just tried to install a CentOS 5 desktop on very recent hardware,
> an Acer desktop machine. The installer stopped short very early. I

How early is very early? Did it stop before the first Welcome to Centos
screen, or did you get to disk partitioning? Knowing exactly where it
dies can be useful. Also, scan the disc to see if that's naffed and
causing grief.

When CentOS is installing you can press Alt-F2 - Alt-F4 (Ctrl-Alt
if you're in gui mode) and there should be a few different screens of
logs. Do any of those provide insight into where it's failing, or what
it last tried to do?

Spike Turner 10-29-2008 09:28 PM

Installer stopped short

Niki Kovacs wrote:

> I just tried to install a CentOS 5 desktop on very recent
> hardware, an Acer desktop machine. The installer stopped
> short very early. I gave Ubuntu 8.04 a shot, and it
> installed without a problem. Now what can I do about this?
>
> Is there a way to use some "enhanced" kernel
> (like the centos.plus kernel) to perform the install? I
> guess what's missing there is a specific driver for
> something (SATA drive? Processor?).

You have to provide specific error messages from the install
logs and be very specific on your hardware. Do some
"homework" however. With 5.3 beta out you can become a beta
tester with your hardware.

Spike