Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default Can one invoke multiple INSTANCEs of Firefox on CentOS

I am doing some testing with XForms and I really need a separate instance
of Firefox, one that shares nothing with my primary instance that has
various reference works and web sites open, to test forms. Is this even
possible? I have a sense from the small bit of testing that I have done
that even with separate profiles and invoking the firefox process manually
from different terminal windows does not provide a completely separate
running instance on the desktop.

Is there a way to do this? If so then how?

*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241
Hamilton, Ontario fax: +1 905 561 0757
Canada L8E 3C3

Old 10-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca>:

> I am doing some testing with XForms and I really need a separate instance
> of Firefox, one that shares nothing with my primary instance that has
> various reference works and web sites open, to test forms. Is this even
> possible? I have a sense from the small bit of testing that I have done
> that even with separate profiles and invoking the firefox process manually
> from different terminal windows does not provide a completely separate
> running instance on the desktop.
>
> Is there a way to do this? If so then how?

Run them as different users with sudo.

1. Create a few extra linux user accounts
2. Give yourself sudo access to the other users
3. Run sudo -H -u <account name> firefox

Notes:

I do not give my browser accounts shells. If you are using acrobat reader
plugin .. give the account a shell and open acroread once to accept the
license, then you can change the shell back to /bin/false. Actually acrobat
reader plugin does not work using this method.

I use this primarily for allowing myself to have browsers with different
versions of java .. so there is no java plugin in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ..
but in ~<account name>/.mozilla/plugins I place the link to the appropriate
java plugin. You probably have to create the per-user plugins directory
yourself.

You will need to grant the user accounts the ability to use the X server. Once
you are logged in to Gnome/KDE open a shell and type "xhost local:" after login.
There may be a way to have this persist, I've never looked into it.

If you want sound to work you will need to adjust permissions on /dev/dsp as
needed.

Hope this helps.

Barry

Old 10-29-2008, 07:17 PM
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams

On Wed, 2008-10-29 at 11:26 -0400, James B. Byrne wrote:
> I am doing some testing with XForms and I really need a separate instance
> of Firefox, one that shares nothing with my primary instance that has
> various reference works and web sites open, to test forms. Is this even
> possible? I have a sense from the small bit of testing that I have done
> that even with separate profiles and invoking the firefox process manually
> from different terminal windows does not provide a completely separate
> running instance on the desktop.
>
> Is there a way to do this? If so then how?

Use the -no-remote command line argument.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:41 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Wed, October 29, 2008 12:05, Joe Pruett wrote:
> you can do it with firefox profiles. start with:
>
> firefox -ProfileManager

Thank you very much for the hint. I went to the Mozilla Firefox Help page
and read up on this. However, when I run:

# firefox -ProfileManager

All I get is a new Firefox window with all of the bookmarks and history of
my standard user profile. Am I missing something here?

Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, October 30, 2008 09:41, James B. Byrne wrote:

> Thank you very much for the hint. I went to the Mozilla Firefox Help
page
> and read up on this. However, when I run:
>
> # firefox -ProfileManager
>
> All I get is a new Firefox window with all of the bookmarks and history
of
> my standard user profile. Am I missing something here?

If the initial condition is that no instances of Firefox is running then
"firefox -ProfileManager" will indeed bring up the Profile Manager and
allow one to chose which profile to use or manage profiles. However, that
is the only circumstance where this occurs. Once a Firefox instance is
running subsequent invocations skip the profile manager and start a new
window with the same profile as the first.

Is this intended behaviour?

Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 PM
"James B. Byrne"

On Thu, October 30, 2008 09:56, lists-centos wrote:

> you can do this by putting:
>
> setenv MOZ_NO_REMOTE 1
>
> in your .cshrc (i'll let you figure out the bash equiv if that's what
> you're using).
>
> and then use (e.g., in your icon's properties entry):
>
> /usr/bin/firefox -SelectProfile %u
>
> to start an instance.

This works. Thank you. The magical invocation is:

Edit ~/.bashrc or /etc/bashrc and add:

# Force Mozilla (Firefox) to prompt for profiles
# and start as separate instances for each.
MOZ_NO_REMOTE=1; export MOZ_NO_REMOTE
# Then invoke via "firefox -SelectProfile %u"

Log out and restart the desktop to get the changes to take effect for the
panel and menus. Changes made to ~/.bashrc or /etc/bashrc are picked up
with each new terminal window opened and do not require a logout or source
command if you invoke Firefox from the command line instead.

Many thanks. Now I can lose myself in the madness of model-model, view,
controller xml.... wheeeee....