Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 PM
kevin kempter

Default A few general questions

Hi All;

I ran Linux as my main laptop OS for several years, then I got into a
mac shop and bought a macbook.
The macbook is ok but it just doesn't cut it per productivity so I've
ordered another laptop
(a 64bit laptop with 8G of memory expandable to 16G and 2 internal
320G 7200rpm drives)

I'll be loading Linux as soon as the machine arrives from Dell.

Here's my questions:

1) Are there any published plans for CentOS to support KDE4, or is
there a way to upgrade CentOS to KDE4 ?

2) Does anyone know if Kpilot is working with Palm Centro phones ? Is
there a better solution besides Kpilot ?

3) Does Kmail support Exchange yet ?

4) Is there a way to migrate apple mail messages to Kmail ?

5) Is there a way to migrate apple address book and calendar events to
the KDE address book and calendar ?

Thanks in advance...

Old 10-29-2008, 03:32 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM, kevin kempter
<kevin@kevinkempterllc.com> wrote:
<snip>
> The macbook is ok but it just doesn't cut it per productivity so I've
> ordered another laptop
> (a 64bit laptop with 8G of memory expandable to 16G and 2 internal 320G
> 7200rpm drives)
>
> I'll be loading Linux as soon as the machine arrives from Dell.

Kevin: I suggest you try the CentOS 5.2 Live CD on it, after you
receive the laptop. Then, you will know if CentOS is the distro for
that Laptop. CentOS is an Enterprise Distro and not well suited to the
latest HW, especially on a Laptop. If CentOS doesn't work on it, the
way you want it to, consider running Fedora or Ubuntu or something
else on it. The Live CD's make it very easy to check out how a Distro
will work on the HW you have.

> Here's my questions:
>
> 1) Are there any published plans for CentOS to support KDE4, or is there a
> way to upgrade CentOS to KDE4 ?

If you upgrade to something that is not supported by the distro, you
broke it and you fix it.
<snip>
GL with the new Dell Laptop! Lanny

Old 10-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Phil Schaffner

Lanny Marcus wrote:

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:25 AM, kevin kempter
The macbook is ok but it just doesn't cut it per productivity so I've
ordered another laptop
(a 64bit laptop with 8G of memory expandable to 16G and 2 internal 320G
7200rpm drives)

I'll be loading Linux as soon as the machine arrives from Dell.

Kevin: I suggest you try the CentOS 5.2 Live CD on it, after you
receive the laptop. Then, you will know if CentOS is the distro for
that Laptop. CentOS is an Enterprise Distro and not well suited to the
latest HW, especially on a Laptop. If CentOS doesn't work on it, the
way you want it to, consider running Fedora or Ubuntu or something
else on it. The Live CD's make it very easy to check out how a Distro
will work on the HW you have.

Very good advice!

Here's my questions:

1) Are there any published plans for CentOS to support KDE4, or is there a
way to upgrade CentOS to KDE4 ?

If you upgrade to something that is not supported by the distro, you
broke it and you fix it.
<snip>
GL with the new Dell Laptop! Lanny

Would not expect to see KDE4 supported before RHEL6/CentOS6. If you
really want to try it, see:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/KDE4FAQ
http://kde-redhat.sourceforge.net/

Note the cautions about using the testing/unstable repos.

Phil