Old 10-29-2008, 02:58 AM
Dag Wieers

Default RHEL 5.3 Beta released, beta-testers needed

Hi all,

The CentOS community is pretty limited in what we can do to the core
distribution. Since our mantra is "aiming to be 100% compatible with Red
Hat Enterprise Linux" we cannot fix bugs or improve the CentOS core
without waiting for Red Hat to make those modifications first. We have
limited leverage and a 6-month release cycle against us.

But that is not the complete truth, Red Hat usually has an internal, a
vendor and a public beta period and everything that is found within that
time-frame might get fixed before it is being shipped (and frozen) for the
next 6 months.

Today RHEL 5.3 Beta was announced with a lot of interesting improvements.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-announce/2008-October/msg00000.html

So if we can improve the testing during the RHEL Beta program, everyone in
the CentOS community directly benefits from that as well. Therefor it
makes a lot of sense to encourage the large CentOS community to take part
in the RHEL Beta program and help with improving the next CentOS releases.
(You don't need my back patting, start already !)

If you are looking for the RHEL 5.3 Beta ISO images, go to Red Hat
Network, log in, click on Download Software, expand the RHEL5 channel for
your architecture and go to the Beta channel. There you can find the RHEL
5.3 Beta ISO images for your architecture.

https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6002
https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6007

And please, if you find anything that is worth to fix, report your
findings to Red Hat's bugzilla.

Thanks in advance,
--
-- dag wieers, dag@wieers.com, http://dag.wieers.com/ --

Old 10-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Karanbir Singh

Dag Wieers wrote:

https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6002
https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6007

Would be so much nicer if Red Hat also realised this [1] and made some
of those beta isos public.

- KB

[1]: Some RH people clearly have, and they have made public access to
their own package sets available at various points.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Mikael Fridh

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 10:36:35AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Dag Wieers wrote:
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6002
>> https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/software/channel/downloads/Download.do?cid=6007
>
> Would be so much nicer if Red Hat also realised this [1] and made some
> of those beta isos public.

I was really looking forward to testing this but when my download completes in
3 hours I might have forgotten about it completely.

I'm too used to 10MB/s local mirror speeds :/

--
Mike

Old 10-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Dag Wieers