-   -   "core" installs of 5.2 missing crucial packages like yum, selinux-policy-targeted, vim-minimal, etc. (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/183702-core-installs-5-2-missing-crucial-packages-like-yum-selinux-policy-targeted-vim-minimal-etc.html)

Johnny Tan 10-28-2008 08:32 PM

"core" installs of 5.2 missing crucial packages like yum, selinux-policy-targeted, vim-minimal, etc.

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 15:34, Johnny Tan <linuxweb@gmail.com> wrote:

I had a 5.0 kickstart server which did "core" installs of CentOS (i.e.:
"%packages --nobase").

IMHO, that's a very bad idea. Unless your diskspace is very very tight
(in which case you should probably look into DSL or another
distribution made for that purpose), why would you want to install
CentOS without the "base" packages?

All machines that I've seen that have been installed with --nobase are
crippled. Some programs and mainly scripts just don't work, because
they need to run some utility that is not installed.

Consider removing the --nobase and, if there are packages you would
like to remove from base and you're positive that it's safe to do it,
use -packagename.

I appreciate the guidance, but all our production machines
run nobase, and we are fine.

I'm just looking for some ideas as to why 5.2 is not
installing certain "core" files. It could very well be a
misconfiguration on our part, but I just wanted to see if
others have encountered this.

Thanks,
johnn

Johnny Tan 10-29-2008 02:24 PM