Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Monty Shinn

Default changing partition priority on install

Greetings.

I am in the process of installing 5.1 64 bit on a server. The server
has 2 3ware cards: 9550SX 12 port, and a 8006 2 port, both SATA.

I want the 8006 board to be /dev/sda, and the 9550 to be /dev/sdb. My
plan is to install the os on /dev/sda (8006), and data on /dev/sdb
(9550). Unfortunately, the 9550 comes up as /dev/sda.

The 8006 is installed in slot 3, which is a 100Mhz slot. The 9550 is
installed in Slot 4, which is a 133Mhz slot.

I really don't want to put the 9550 in the 100Mhz slot. I'm not even
sure it would make a difference... I would also prefer to not have grub
reside on /dev/sda, while the os is on /dev/sdb.

I have tried to change the boot priority in bios, but this hasn't
changed the priority. I tried to disable one of the boards in the bios,
but that didn't seem to have any effect.

Interestingly enough, when I boot with the Knoppix 5.1.1 live cd, the
cards show up as I want them to.

I have searched Google, but I am either entering the wrong search
parameters, or there isn't anything out there, at least pertaining to
the initial installation.

Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Monty

Specs:

Supermicro X6DH8-G
3ware 8006-2lp pci-X
3ware 9550sx-12, pci-X
CentOS 5.1, x86_64, network (nfs) install

Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Phil Schaffner

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 14:59 -0500, Monty Shinn wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I am in the process of installing 5.1 64 bit on a server. The server
> has 2 3ware cards: 9550SX 12 port, and a 8006 2 port, both SATA.

Any reason not to use 5.2? Will save a lot of updates, and perhaps some
headaches.

> I want the 8006 board to be /dev/sda, and the 9550 to be /dev/sdb. My
> plan is to install the os on /dev/sda (8006), and data on /dev/sdb
> (9550). Unfortunately, the 9550 comes up as /dev/sda.
>
> The 8006 is installed in slot 3, which is a 100Mhz slot. The 9550 is
> installed in Slot 4, which is a 133Mhz slot.
>
> I really don't want to put the 9550 in the 100Mhz slot. I'm not even
> sure it would make a difference... I would also prefer to not have grub
> reside on /dev/sda, while the os is on /dev/sdb.
>
> I have tried to change the boot priority in bios, but this hasn't
> changed the priority. I tried to disable one of the boards in the bios,
> but that didn't seem to have any effect.
>
> Interestingly enough, when I boot with the Knoppix 5.1.1 live cd, the
> cards show up as I want them to.

Have also seen device ordering change with kernel/release updates on the
same distro.

> I have searched Google, but I am either entering the wrong search
> parameters, or there isn't anything out there, at least pertaining to
> the initial installation.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have vague recollections of having fixed similar problems by tweaking
the device ordering in initrd and/or modprobe.conf; however, backing up
a step, why do you need to change the order to make things work? You
can install GRUB on the boot device MBR, whatever that may be, and put
the OS on the device you want it on without changing the ordering.

Phil

Old 10-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Monty Shinn

Phil Schaffner wrote:

I am in the process of installing 5.1 64 bit on a server. The server
has 2 3ware cards: 9550SX 12 port, and a 8006 2 port, both SATA.

Any reason not to use 5.2? Will save a lot of updates, and perhaps some
headaches.

<snip>

I have vague recollections of having fixed similar problems by tweaking
the device ordering in initrd and/or modprobe.conf; however, backing up
a step, why do you need to change the order to make things work? You
can install GRUB on the boot device MBR, whatever that may be, and put
the OS on the device you want it on without changing the ordering.

Phil

<snip>

Phil,

There are a couple of reasons, although they may make no sense. First,
I did not want a multiple point of failure. If the boot loader is on
the MBR of /dev/sda, and the os is on /dev/sdb, then you have a multiple
point of failure. If either card dies, then I am hosed. It would be
*similar* to running a RAID0 on the os. Not a good idea IMHO.

Also, if I wanted to replace the "data" drives in the future, I couldn't
just unmount the partition and replace the drives. The boot loader
would be gone as well.

I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to
the MBR of /dev/sdb. I probably should try the text-based installer to
see if there are more options.

Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install is
completed. That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve. Just
seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.

I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand. I was just going
to let yum update me to 5.2...

Thanks for your help,

Monty

Old 10-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Phil Schaffner

Monty Shinn wrote:

Phil Schaffner wrote:

[...]

A GRUB boot CD (or floppy) will allay the above concerns. Do an "info
grub" to find out how to create one. Can also boot from install media
to recover a lost GRUB.

I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to
the MBR of /dev/sdb. I probably should try the text-based installer to
see if there are more options.

It is there in the GUI installer - can't remember exactly where without
going through the install, but something like an "Advanced" button on a
configuration page toward the end of the process.

Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install is
completed. That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve. Just
seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.

I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand. I was just going
to let yum update me to 5.2...

That should work.

Thanks for your help,

OK

Phil

Old 10-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Monty Shinn

Phil Schaffner wrote:

<snip>
[...]

Thanks for your input. I did find the location of the grub install
modification. Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub
defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I did not change any hardware or bios
settings in between attempts. I have no idea why the change happened.

Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda,
even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process.
Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda. Again, I
can't explain it.

If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me
to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Monty

Old 10-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Phil Schaffner

Monty Shinn wrote:

Phil,

Thanks for your input. I did find the location of the grub install
modification. Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub
defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I did not change any hardware or bios
settings in between attempts. I have no idea why the change happened.

Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda,
even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process.
Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda. Again, I
can't explain it.

If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me
to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again for all your help.

Monty,

Not much helpful to add, except that I have seen many cases over many
years of using RH/RHEL/FC and derived distros of device ordering
changing among installer/boot/runtime versions of GRUB, among
installer/installed/updated kernels, as well as among different
contemporary distros. PCI slot priority, initrd, modprobe.conf, and
BIOS settings are also variables so interactions among all these
components can be quite complex.

If you really want to dig into it the kernel development and
distro-devel mailing lists would be good starting places. There are
also old threads in CentOS and Fedora list archives, some of which I
participated in, on these issues. If you find any clear and
enlightening docs on these problems, please share.

Cheers,
Phil

Old 10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-29-2008 5:54 PM Monty Shinn spake the following:
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> A GRUB boot CD (or floppy) will allay the above concerns. Do an "info
>> grub" to find out how to create one. Can also boot from install media
>> to recover a lost GRUB.
>>
>>> I did not find an option during the install prep to re-locate grub to
>>> the MBR of /dev/sdb. I probably should try the text-based installer
>>> to see if there are more options.
>>
>> It is there in the GUI installer - can't remember exactly where
>> without going through the install, but something like an "Advanced"
>> button on a configuration page toward the end of the process.
>>
>>> Heck, I may just remove the 9550 board until the initial os install
>>> is completed. That should accomplish what I am trying to achieve.
>>> Just seems like there should be a more elegant way of doing this.
>>>
>>> I am installing 5.1 because I have the isos on hand. I was just
>>> going to let yum update me to 5.2...
>>
>> That should work.
>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>
>> OK
>>
>> Phil

> Phil,
>
> Thanks for your input. I did find the location of the grub install
> modification. Strange thing is, when I restarted the install, grub
> defaulted to the MBR of /dev/sdb. I did not change any hardware or bios
> settings in between attempts. I have no idea why the change happened.
>
> Once the install was completed, the OS partition showed up as /dev/sda,
> even though it showed up as /dev/sdb during the installation process.
> Grub is apparently happily residing in the MBR of /dev/sda. Again, I
> can't explain it.
>
> If you (or anyone else) has insights to this behaviour, or can point me
> to where I can read up on it, I would appreciate it.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.
>
> Monty
The only thing I can add is since you have 2 different families of 3ware
cards, one is using the 3w-9xxx driver and the other is using the 3w-xxxx
driver. Whichever driver that loads first will determine which card
initializes first. First array gets /dev/sda. I think there are ways to force
a driver to load first, you have to adjust the alias scsi_hostadapter lines in
/etc/modprobe.conf in the order you want them to load like;

alias scsi_hostadapter 3w-xxxx
alias scsi_hostadapter1 3w-9xxx

and then make a new initrd.

Since yours seems ok now, this is for posterity.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and