Old 10-28-2008, 06:44 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Default "core" installs of 5.2 missing crucial packages like yum, selinux-policy-targeted, vim-minimal, etc.

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 15:34, Johnny Tan <linuxweb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I had a 5.0 kickstart server which did "core" installs of CentOS (i.e.:
> "%packages --nobase").

IMHO, that's a very bad idea. Unless your diskspace is very very tight
(in which case you should probably look into DSL or another
distribution made for that purpose), why would you want to install
CentOS without the "base" packages?

All machines that I've seen that have been installed with --nobase are
crippled. Some programs and mainly scripts just don't work, because
they need to run some utility that is not installed.

Consider removing the --nobase and, if there are packages you would
like to remove from base and you're positive that it's safe to do it,
use -packagename.

Filipe

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Johnny Tan wrote on Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:34:29 -0400:

> I had a 5.0 kickstart server which did "core" installs of
> CentOS (i.e.: "%packages --nobase").

And you have a @core in there as well?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Filipe Brandenburger wrote on Tue, 28 Oct 2008 15:44:47 -0400:

> why would you want to install
> CentOS without the "base" packages?

because it gives you more control over really unnecessary stuff, I don't
need any CD-burning and other multimedia stuff on a webserver for
instance.

> All machines that I've seen that have been installed with --nobase are
> crippled. Some programs and mainly scripts just don't work, because
> they need to run some utility that is not installed.

Works just perfectly for me.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany