FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

I am trying to install 5.2 on a new dv7z hp laptop.
I use "linux noapic nolapic iommu=off " and I get a kernel dump on rtl8169.
I dont need the network to install? how do I ignore the rtl8169 to install.

I tried noprobe and then it doesnt recognize my SATA HD controller and I
dont

know yet which driver to select as I cant do an lspci to see???

THanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

Jerry Geis wrote:

I am trying to install 5.2 on a new dv7z hp laptop.
I use "linux noapic nolapic iommu=off " and I get a kernel dump on
rtl8169.
I dont need the network to install? how do I ignore the rtl8169 to
install.


I tried noprobe and then it doesnt recognize my SATA HD controller and
I dont

know yet which driver to select as I cant do an lspci to see???

THanks,

Jerry

I did the noprobe again and selected the driver ahci and I am installing
at this point.

Dont know what will happen with rtl1839 network after install is done???

Jerry

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 04:40 PM
MHR
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 8:52 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to install 5.2 on a new dv7z hp laptop.
>> I use "linux noapic nolapic iommu=off " and I get a kernel dump on
>> rtl8169.
>> I dont need the network to install? how do I ignore the rtl8169 to
>> install.
>>
>> I tried noprobe and then it doesnt recognize my SATA HD controller and I
>> dont
>> know yet which driver to select as I cant do an lspci to see???
>>
>> THanks,
>>
>> Jerry
>>
> I did the noprobe again and selected the driver ahci and I am installing at
> this point.
> Dont know what will happen with rtl1839 network after install is done???
>
> Jerry
>

Jerry, you're going to have to stop talking to yourself on this list.

Instead of clicking the "send" button, try something else _first_. I
have done this so many times I lost count, and I (almost) never need
to do this. Heck, it's bad enough I talk to myself audibly....

mhr
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

>/ Jerry Geis wrote:
/>>/
/>>/ I am trying to install 5.2 on a new dv7z hp laptop.
/>>/ I use "linux noapic nolapic iommu=off " and I get a kernel dump on
/>>/ rtl8169.
/>>/ I dont need the network to install? how do I ignore the rtl8169 to
/>>/ install.
/>>/
/>>/ I tried noprobe and then it doesnt recognize my SATA HD controller and I
/>>/ dont
/>>/ know yet which driver to select as I cant do an lspci to see???
/>>/
/>>/ THanks,
/>>/
/>>/ Jerry
/>>/
/>/ I did the noprobe again and selected the driver ahci and I am installing at
/>/ this point.
/>/ Dont know what will happen with rtl1839 network after install is done???
/>/
/>/ Jerry
/>/
/
Jerry, you're going to have to stop talking to yourself on this list.

Instead of clicking the "send" button, try something else _first_. I
have done this so many times I lost count, and I (almost) never need
to do this. Heck, it's bad enough I talk to myself audibly....

LOL - funny... I thought I was being helpful in letting the list know I
had gotten past

the install point with using noprobe.

I do still have issues with the rtl8169 module blowing up. The second
comment was just
geared towards hoping someone else might have a suggestion on the
rtl8169 device
no working and perhaps there was some other OBSCURE command line
argument that might

help on boot...

Have a great day.

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 05:43 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

on 10-28-2008 11:10 AM Jerry Geis spake the following:
>>
>> >/ Jerry Geis wrote:
>> />>/
>> />>/ I am trying to install 5.2 on a new dv7z hp laptop.
>> />>/ I use "linux noapic nolapic iommu=off " and I get a kernel dump on
>> />>/ rtl8169.
>> />>/ I dont need the network to install? how do I ignore the rtl8169 to
>> />>/ install.
>> />>/
>> />>/ I tried noprobe and then it doesnt recognize my SATA HD
>> controller and I
>> />>/ dont
>> />>/ know yet which driver to select as I cant do an lspci to see???
>> />>/
>> />>/ THanks,
>> />>/
>> />>/ Jerry
>> />>/
>> />/ I did the noprobe again and selected the driver ahci and I am
>> installing at
>> />/ this point.
>> />/ Dont know what will happen with rtl1839 network after install is
>> done???
>> />/
>> />/ Jerry
>> />/
>> /
>> Jerry, you're going to have to stop talking to yourself on this list.
>>
>> Instead of clicking the "send" button, try something else _first_. I
>> have done this so many times I lost count, and I (almost) never need
>> to do this. Heck, it's bad enough I talk to myself audibly....
>>
> LOL - funny... I thought I was being helpful in letting the list know I
> had gotten past
> the install point with using noprobe.
>
> I do still have issues with the rtl8169 module blowing up. The second
> comment was just
> geared towards hoping someone else might have a suggestion on the
> rtl8169 device
> no working and perhaps there was some other OBSCURE command line
> argument that might
> help on boot...
>
> Have a great day.
>
> Jerry
CentOS doesn't play nice with brand new hardware sometimes. It wasn't designed to.
If you look at most server hardware, all the pieces are usually well
established hardware, but the desktop and laptop stuff can be "the flavor of
the day" in terms of new engineering.
To top it off, most hardware manu. create windows drivers first because that
is where the money is. Linux comes later, if they support it at all. If they
don't, someone has to reverse engineer the windows driver to see what it does
and port that back to an existing or new linux driver.



--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Phil Schaffner
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 10:40 -0700, MHR wrote:
> Heck, it's bad enough I talk to myself audibly....

Well, my grandma used to say it's OK to talk to yourself, but if you
start answering yourself you're in trouble. Following this theory,
you're OK, but I don't know about Jerry! :-)

Phil

P.S. - In the interest of full disclosure, I have also been known to
talk to myself on/off list, sometime on to get the answer out there for
future searchers there when nobody else came up with it before I did.
Holding off on hitting Send until you're REALLY stuck sounds like best
practice.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-29-2008, 08:12 AM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default install 5.2 on new dv7z hp laptop

On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 20:51 -0400, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-28 at 10:40 -0700, MHR wrote:
> > Heck, it's bad enough I talk to myself audibly....
>
> Well, my grandma used to say it's OK to talk to yourself, but if you
> start answering yourself you're in trouble. Following this theory,
> you're OK, but I don't know about Jerry! :-)

Actually... Even answering yourself is fairly normal and not a sign of
any significant aberration. But you're in real trouble when you begin
arguing with yourself... and lose the argument.

Not so!

Is so!

Is not!
.
.
.


>
> Phil
> < snip rationalization of symptoms >:-)

--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:22 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org