-   -   cpan2rpm and alternatives (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/182758-cpan2rpm-alternatives.html)

"Geoff Galitz" 10-27-2008 05:47 AM

cpan2rpm and alternatives

>cpan2rpm is getting relatively old, compared to some of the newer
>things that can be done with the CPAN and RPM build procedures. The
>latest version isn't available on its sourceforge site and the

What are the newer procedures? I'll be needing to do this in the very near
future.

I was contemplating writing some sort of yum plugin or external utility that
can leverage whatever current procedures exist and register a CPAN install
in the RPM database... but I'm not sure it is worth the effort and I do
realize that breaks the whole Centos testing and reliability model. Still,
there are some functions cannot be found in the usual places that do exist
in CPAN.

-geoff

Dag Wieers 10-28-2008 04:59 PM

cpan2rpm and alternatives

cpan2rpm is getting relatively old, compared to some of the newer
things that can be done with the CPAN and RPM build procedures. The
latest version isn't available on its sourceforge site and the

What are the newer procedures? I'll be needing to do this in the very near
future.

I was contemplating writing some sort of yum plugin or external utility that
can leverage whatever current procedures exist and register a CPAN install
in the RPM database... but I'm not sure it is worth the effort and I do
realize that breaks the whole Centos testing and reliability model. Still,
there are some functions cannot be found in the usual places that do exist
in CPAN.

Listing the RPM packages you need on the RPMforge mailinglist would be
sufficient to have them added (where possible).

Les Mikesell 10-28-2008 05:20 PM

cpan2rpm and alternatives

Dag Wieers wrote:

[...]

Is there any attempt at coordination between the packages in EPEL and
RPMforge?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-28-2008 09:40 PM

cpan2rpm and alternatives

>Listing the RPM packages you need on the RPMforge mailinglist would be
>sufficient to have them added (where possible).

Dag,
I can't tell you how much I would appreciate that though I don't envy
this task. Aside from ASSP 2.0 needing many, it requires newer versions
of modules that come in Perl already on CentOS and this has me baffled
as how to handle overwriting these files w/o breaking future yum updates
of Perl itself?

Thanks!
jlc