Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 AM
"Neil Aggarwal"

Default dumpe2fs and repquota not agreeing on block size

Hello:

I am trying to set up user quotas on my /var
partition to enforce limits on user's mailbox
sizes. The machine is running CentOS 5.

When I do this:
/sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/md2 | grep 'Block size'
Block size: 4096

That tells me the block size is 4k.

But, if I do:
repquota /var

It is telling me that one of my users is
currently using 10264 blocks. But, if I look
at their mail file, it is 10493792 bytes,
which means they should be using 2562 blocks
or so.

Also, if I do:
df /var

I get this
/dev/md2 39674140 20401792 17224468 55% /var

Which tells me the blocks are 1K in size. The repquota
result makes much more sense with a 1K block size.

Any idea why dumpe2fs is giving a 4K block size?

Thanks,
Neil

Eliminate junk email and reclaim your inbox.
Visit http://www.spammilter.com for details.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:07 AM
Tru Huynh

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:37:26PM -0500, Neil Aggarwal wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to set up user quotas on my /var
> partition to enforce limits on user's mailbox
> sizes. The machine is running CentOS 5.
>
> When I do this:
> /sbin/dumpe2fs /dev/md2 | grep 'Block size'
> Block size: 4096
>
> That tells me the block size is 4k.
the filesystem block size is basically the minimal used size
for any allocated object.

> But, if I do:
> repquota /var
>
> It is telling me that one of my users is
> currently using 10264 blocks. But, if I look
> at their mail file, it is 10493792 bytes,
10493792/1024=10247 kilo bytes used

> which means they should be using 2562 blocks
> or so.
no, the quota are expressed in kB units, not
filesystem block unit.

> Any idea why dumpe2fs is giving a 4K block size?
Because they don't serve the same purpose.

Tru

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 PM
"Neil Aggarwal"

Tru:

> no, the quota are expressed in kB units, not
> filesystem block unit.

Thanks for the information.

I assumed that because the quota reports in blocks, that
meant file system blocks.

I read the man pages to try to find some documentation
of the block size for quota but did not see anything
specific.

Is the block size always 1K or can it change?
If it can change, how do I find the current block size?

Old 10-27-2008, 05:46 PM
MHR

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 6:37 PM, Neil Aggarwal <neil@jammconsulting.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Also, if I do:
> df /var
>
> I get this
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/md2 39674140 20401792 17224468 55% /var
>
> Which tells me the blocks are 1K in size. The repquota
> result makes much more sense with a 1K block size.

No, this is just telling you how many 1k blocks are used, available,
etc. It is a report on disk space usage, not file system allocation
units or their sizes.

The man pages are a good source of information in this regard....

mhr