-   -   cpan2rpm (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/182586-cpan2rpm.html)

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-26-2008 07:12 PM

cpan2rpm

When you use --no-depchk with this tool, does this actually turn off the dependency
check in the final rpm as well? Reading docs about this I am not sure and I just installed
an rpm that I know I am missing the deps for and built with this switch and it installed fine?

Thanks,
jlc

"Bart Schaefer" 10-26-2008 10:34 PM

cpan2rpm

This is a bit off-topic, but:

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:12 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<JCasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
> When you use --no-depchk with this tool, does this actually turn off the dependency
> check in the final rpm as well? Reading docs about this I am not sure and I just installed
> an rpm that I know I am missing the deps for and built with this switch and it installed fine?

I'm not exactly an expert with cpan2rpm, but I believe that it's not
precisely the case that the final RPM has the dependency checks turned
off, but rather that the final RPM does not list any of the missing
packages as dependencies at all -- so the check happens, but there's
nothing for it to look for.

cpan2rpm is getting relatively old, compared to some of the newer
things that can be done with the CPAN and RPM build procedures. The
latest version isn't available on its sourceforge site and the
arix.net FTP link requires a login. I guess you can get cpan2rpm from
cpan.org.

Anyone care to offer opinions on
cpan2dist --format=CPANPLUS::Dist::RPM ...
??

"Joseph L. Casale" 10-26-2008 10:52 PM

cpan2rpm

>cpan2rpm is getting relatively old, compared to some of the newer
>things that can be done with the CPAN and RPM build procedures. The
>latest version isn't available on its sourceforge site and the
>arix.net FTP link requires a login

I yanked it off arix.net?

All this effort is to build a CentOS vm for ASSP 2.0 which is pretty close
to not being an option anymore as the hints at ASSP's dependencies are only
a cpan install script...

I would be grateful for any pointers to newer more supported methods!

>Anyone care to offer opinions on
> cpan2dist --format=CPANPLUS::Dist::RPM ...

That looks interesting which leads me to really sit here and rethink
my use of ASSP given the work to deduce what rpm's are in base or easily
accessible from rpmforge and exclude them. I am starting to think this is
so not worth the effort!

Thanks for the pointer on cpan2dist.
jlc