Old 10-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Niki Kovacs

Default Simple audio recording app?

Hi,

I'd like to get my microphone to work (mainly to use it with Skype).
I've just been looking for a simple audio recording app, as I vaguely
remember having seen such a thing before, only I can't seem to find it
anymore. I'm using the default GNOME desktop with the latest CentOS 5.

Any suggestions?

Niki

Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Jorge Fábregas

On Sunday 26 October 2008 09:21:17 am Niki Kovacs wrote:
> I've just been looking for a simple audio recording app

You can use arecord (comes with the alsa-utils package) which is a
command-line tool or if you want a GUI one you can try Audacity.

HTH,
Jorge

Old 10-26-2008, 04:49 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> I'd like to get my microphone to work (mainly to use it with Skype). I've
> just been looking for a simple audio recording app, as I vaguely remember
> having seen such a thing before, only I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm
> using the default GNOME desktop with the latest CentOS 5.
> Any suggestions?

This is something I also need to spend more time to get working for
Skype on Linux. Works fine on MS Windows (Skype is the primary reason
I am still using MS Windows) but not on Linux. My Sound Card is a
cs46xx Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 (Crystal Clear SoundFusion Audio
Acc) and the driver is snd-cs46xx

No intention of hijacking your thread, but I'm also using GNOME and
fully up to date CentOS 5.2 (32 bit). No audio output from the
microphone.... Niki: I hope we can get this to work! Lanny

Old 10-26-2008, 05:04 PM
"David G. Mackay"

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:

> No intention of hijacking your thread, but I'm also using GNOME and
> fully up to date CentOS 5.2 (32 bit). No audio output from the
> microphone.... Niki: I hope we can get this to work! Lanny

I was having a terrible time trying to get microphone input on my fedora
system. I tried all sorts of contortions with alsamixer, etc. Then, in
the process of installing openmovieeditor, I had to install the gmerlin
packages. I tried setting up the mic using the gmerlin mixer, and
voila! This is on a system using an nvidia chipset that mimics an intel
hda sound card.

Dave

Old 10-26-2008, 06:01 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> I'd like to get my microphone to work (mainly to use it with Skype). I've
> just been looking for a simple audio recording app, as I vaguely remember
> having seen such a thing before, only I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm
> using the default GNOME desktop with the latest CentOS 5.
>
> Any suggestions?

Niki: Thanks for starting this thread! Jorge & Dave: Thank you for
your suggestions. I will try them! Lanny

Old 10-26-2008, 07:35 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 1:04 PM, David G. Mackay <mackay_d@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>> No intention of hijacking your thread, but I'm also using GNOME and
>> fully up to date CentOS 5.2 (32 bit). No audio output from the
>> microphone.... Niki: I hope we can get this to work! Lanny
>
> I was having a terrible time trying to get microphone input on my fedora
> system. I tried all sorts of contortions with alsamixer, etc. Then, in
> the process of installing openmovieeditor, I had to install the gmerlin
> packages. I tried setting up the mic using the gmerlin mixer, and
> voila! This is on a system using an nvidia chipset that mimics an intel
> hda sound card.

Is gmerlin available in a yum repository for CentOS 5 (32 bit)? It's
apparently not in the repositories I have configured. TIA!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:59 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Sun, 2008-10-26 at 12:49 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:21 AM, Niki Kovacs <contact@kikinovak.net> wrote:
> > I'd like to get my microphone to work (mainly to use it with Skype). I've
> > just been looking for a simple audio recording app, as I vaguely remember
> > having seen such a thing before, only I can't seem to find it anymore. I'm
> > using the default GNOME desktop with the latest CentOS 5.
> > Any suggestions?
>
> This is something I also need to spend more time to get working for
> Skype on Linux. Works fine on MS Windows (Skype is the primary reason
> I am still using MS Windows) but not on Linux. My Sound Card is a
> cs46xx Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24 (Crystal Clear SoundFusion Audio
> Acc) and the driver is snd-cs46xx
>
> No intention of hijacking your thread, but I'm also using GNOME and
> fully up to date CentOS 5.2 (32 bit). No audio output from the
> microphone.... Niki: I hope we can get this to work! Lanny

Well! I've not done this before on Linux, but I thought I'd seen some
stuff in the menu. I just set up and successfully recorded using krec.

I'm sure this is highly OT here. I'm willing to send snapshots of my
settings and discuss all through private mail. If someone thinks this
should be kept on the list, let me see a vote and approval of TPB. :-)

Until such time, e-mail me privately and I'll respond.

I'll have time until the Stock Market opens tomorrow. Then through the
rest of the day, sporadic availability.

My hardware is likely different, but a lot of commonality should exist
above the hardware level.

Synopsis: using krec, use the help menus. <ALT>-<F2> and enter "kcmshell
arts". Make sure full duplex is enabled in the hardware tab. Open other
desired things from the krec menu bar. I also opened the alsa mixer and
made sure all appropriate channels (both in playback and capture tabs)
are enabled. Ditto for the kmix opened from the krec app.

> <snip sig stuff>

I'm willing to try other apps too to help out. I have a skype account,
but have never tried it outside of M$ Windows yet.

So I can test with you from my Windows unit or set up skype on my CentOS
5.2 and test. Doesn't look like it'll be that difficult.

HTH
--
Bill