Old 10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Phil Schaffner

Default Ole Fossils

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:19 -0400, Ed Westphal wrote:
> Forgive my senility, but I'm continually amazed how many of us ole
> fossils are still around, and running Linux! Not to use up too much
> bandwidth, but the switch from Fortran 2 to 2D, for disk, was a big
> event way back when. Then Fortran 4 came around! Be still my old
> heart!

WAY OT, but since the thread has already been hijacked, can't resist a
trip down memory lane...

Ah yes, how fondly I remember running FORTRAN from punched tape on the
Data General Nova "minicomputer". At least it was not prone to dropping
the 80-column card deck and having to re-sort it. Then we got the 8"
hard-sector floppy drive. Luxury! Still had to boot it up with the
correct sequence of flips of the front panel switches, but actually had
somewhere to save output data as well as load programs - up to 256KB.
Did real-time data acquisition using an 8-bit A/D and ran fast Fourier
transforms to get frequency domain responses using ASCII graphics on a
printer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_General_Nova

Seem to remember an "old farts" thread on this list a while back, so I
guess "ole fossils" sounds a bit better. :-)

Phil

Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner@ieee.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:19 -0400, Ed Westphal wrote:
>> Forgive my senility, but I'm continually amazed how many of us ole
>> fossils are still around, and running Linux! Not to use up too much
>> bandwidth, but the switch from Fortran 2 to 2D, for disk, was a big
>> event way back when. Then Fortran 4 came around! Be still my old
>> heart!
<snip>
> Seem to remember an "old farts" thread on this list a while back, so I
> guess "ole fossils" sounds a bit better. :-)

Phil: Smells better too. :-) I remember the line printers we had,
for the IBM 7090's, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_7090 in the
NOC of an Airline Reservation Center. I think they were about 30% the
size of our home office. :-) Lanny

Old 10-25-2008, 04:07 AM
MHR

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner@ieee.org> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:19 -0400, Ed Westphal wrote:
>>> Forgive my senility, but I'm continually amazed how many of us ole
>>> fossils are still around, and running Linux! Not to use up too much
>>> bandwidth, but the switch from Fortran 2 to 2D, for disk, was a big
>>> event way back when. Then Fortran 4 came around! Be still my old
>>> heart!
> <snip>
>> Seem to remember an "old farts" thread on this list a while back, so I
>> guess "ole fossils" sounds a bit better. :-)
>
> Phil: Smells better too. :-) I remember the line printers we had,
> for the IBM 7090's, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_7090 in the
> NOC of an Airline Reservation Center. I think they were about 30% the
> size of our home office. :-) Lanny

That's it - I'm not speaking to either of you again. You're too old!

(So am I - how awkward! :-)

mhr