FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:25 PM
"Alex H. Vandenham"
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

When doing the 5.2 installation the ONLY drive option provided is

mapper/nvidia_cbjcdhfe (250G)

My system has 2 SATA - 250G drives and I want to use them in a RAID/LVM
configuration.

My question:

How do I get the installer to let me use DiskDruid to create RAID1 arrays and
then use LVM for the mount points?

What I've done so far:

I've verified that both drives are recognized by going to the shell screen and
using fdisk to access both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - so I know they are both
available.

I've also tried using the Centos 4.7 installer where I can do exactly what I
want.

I've accepted the default and after a full install of 5.2 there is no raid and
total space is 250G.

I've looked at the various deployment guides and installation guides but can't
find how to do this . . . .

puzzled

Alex
===

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

on 10-24-2008 7:25 AM Alex H. Vandenham spake the following:
> When doing the 5.2 installation the ONLY drive option provided is
>
> mapper/nvidia_cbjcdhfe (250G)
>
> My system has 2 SATA - 250G drives and I want to use them in a RAID/LVM
> configuration.
>
> My question:
>
> How do I get the installer to let me use DiskDruid to create RAID1 arrays and
> then use LVM for the mount points?
>
> What I've done so far:
>
> I've verified that both drives are recognized by going to the shell screen and
> using fdisk to access both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - so I know they are both
> available.
>
> I've also tried using the Centos 4.7 installer where I can do exactly what I
> want.
>
> I've accepted the default and after a full install of 5.2 there is no raid and
> total space is 250G.
>
> I've looked at the various deployment guides and installation guides but can't
> find how to do this . . . .
>
> puzzled
>
> Alex
> ===
>
The default install doesn't do a software raid, and if you are trying to use
an Nvidia onboard raid controller as a raid device in linux, you are probably
out of luck.

To do software raid with LVM over it, you have to do it all manually. First
creating the raid devices, and then adding the resulting md devices as LVM
partitions.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-25-2008, 02:47 PM
"Alex H. Vandenham"
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

After much frustration and wasted time:

Solution: Additional Boot option (undocumented) : nodmraid

On Friday 24 October 2008 06:41:07 pm Scott Silva wrote:
> on 10-24-2008 7:25 AM Alex H. Vandenham spake the following:
> > When doing the 5.2 installation the ONLY drive option provided is
> >
> > mapper/nvidia_cbjcdhfe (250G)
> >
> > My system has 2 SATA - 250G drives and I want to use them in a RAID/LVM
> > configuration.
> >
> > My question:
> >
> > How do I get the installer to let me use DiskDruid to create RAID1 arrays
> > and then use LVM for the mount points?
> >
> > What I've done so far:
> >
> > I've verified that both drives are recognized by going to the shell
> > screen and using fdisk to access both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - so I know
> > they are both available.
> >
> > I've also tried using the Centos 4.7 installer where I can do exactly
> > what I want.
> >
> > I've accepted the default and after a full install of 5.2 there is no
> > raid and total space is 250G.

the default install DOES use raid but not with Software raid so /proc/mdstat
shows no devices. How nvidia drivers/Linux kernel modules handle the raid
(and raid failures for example) remains unknown - info Anyone?

> >
> > I've looked at the various deployment guides and installation guides but
> > can't find how to do this . . . .

Chapter 8 does not mention the nodmraid option. When that option is used, the
two SATA disks are listed as expected.

> >
> > puzzled
> >
> > Alex
> > ===
>
> The default install doesn't do a software raid, and if you are trying to
> use an Nvidia onboard raid controller as a raid device in linux, you are
> probably out of luck.

Apparently the nvidia drivers and/or the kernel LVM modules are creating a
raid array - hard to know for sure without some documentation to help me
confirm that . . .

>
> To do software raid with LVM over it, you have to do it all manually.
> First creating the raid devices, and then adding the resulting md devices
> as LVM partitions.

Even when I created working Software RAID1 arrays with mdadm (with Centos 4.7
rescue), on reboot the SATA drives were used by the nvidia drivers (not
sure ?) to create the array with LVM VG/LV, and then md could not start the
software raid1 arrays.

Cheers;

Alex
====

--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by Avantel Systems, and is
believed to be clean.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Ralph Angenendt
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

Scott Silva wrote:
> The default install doesn't do a software raid, and if you are trying to use
> an Nvidia onboard raid controller as a raid device in linux, you are probably
> out of luck.
>
> To do software raid with LVM over it, you have to do it all manually. First
> creating the raid devices, and then adding the resulting md devices as LVM
> partitions.

Well, the installer *does* help you with that.

Ralph
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-27-2008, 03:59 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

on 10-27-2008 1:27 AM Ralph Angenendt spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> The default install doesn't do a software raid, and if you are trying to use
>> an Nvidia onboard raid controller as a raid device in linux, you are probably
>> out of luck.
>>
>> To do software raid with LVM over it, you have to do it all manually. First
>> creating the raid devices, and then adding the resulting md devices as LVM
>> partitions.
>
> Well, the installer *does* help you with that.
>
> Ralph
>
OP said he accepted the "default" which isn't software raid.
When I said manually, I guess I meant that there are no "wizards" or such
nonsense. No button that says "Create raid-1 mirror system", which would be
nice for beginners.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Johnny Hughes
 
Default Problem selecting installation drive : 5.2

Alex H. Vandenham wrote:
> After much frustration and wasted time:
>
> Solution: Additional Boot option (undocumented) : nodmraid

That either is or is not the solution ... depending on what you want

dmraid (Device Manager RAID) is a package that provides the ability to
recognize SOME "Fake RAID" controllers as hardware RAID.

What is FRAID:
http://thebs413.blogspot.com/2005/09/fake-raid-fraid-sucks-even-more-at.html

One of the controllers that is being recognized by dmraid is the nvidia
nforce4 raid controller.

If you do "nodmraid" as a kernel switch, then you are disabling the
dmraid, so CentOS will not see the drives as RAID ... so then you can
use software RAID if you want.

If you can not see the drives at all without the nodmraid, then it means
that for some reason dmraid does not properly see the devices (or that
you did not properly set up the RAID arrays in your BIOS).

If the CentOS kernel and DMRAID does not see the devices properly as
fake RAID (dmraid) devices, then the only real option you have is to use
them as software raid.

>
> On Friday 24 October 2008 06:41:07 pm Scott Silva wrote:
>> on 10-24-2008 7:25 AM Alex H. Vandenham spake the following:
>>> When doing the 5.2 installation the ONLY drive option provided is
>>>
>>> mapper/nvidia_cbjcdhfe (250G)
>>>
>>> My system has 2 SATA - 250G drives and I want to use them in a RAID/LVM
>>> configuration.
>>>
>>> My question:
>>>
>>> How do I get the installer to let me use DiskDruid to create RAID1 arrays
>>> and then use LVM for the mount points?
>>>
>>> What I've done so far:
>>>
>>> I've verified that both drives are recognized by going to the shell
>>> screen and using fdisk to access both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb - so I know
>>> they are both available.
>>>
>>> I've also tried using the Centos 4.7 installer where I can do exactly
>>> what I want.
>>>
>>> I've accepted the default and after a full install of 5.2 there is no
>>> raid and total space is 250G.

In this case, if you have setup the devices in the BIOS as RAID-0 that
is exactly what you would expect to see if dmraid was working. The OS
only sees 1 drive at 250GB and you are controlling the setup of the
device in the system BIOS. Whether or not that is what you want to do,
you will need to decide.

>
> the default install DOES use raid but not with Software raid so /proc/mdstat
> shows no devices. How nvidia drivers/Linux kernel modules handle the raid
> (and raid failures for example) remains unknown - info Anyone?
>
>>> I've looked at the various deployment guides and installation guides but
>>> can't find how to do this . . . .
>
> Chapter 8 does not mention the nodmraid option. When that option is used, the
> two SATA disks are listed as expected.
>
>>> puzzled
>>>
>>> Alex
>>> ===
>> The default install doesn't do a software raid, and if you are trying to
>> use an Nvidia onboard raid controller as a raid device in linux, you are
>> probably out of luck.
>
> Apparently the nvidia drivers and/or the kernel LVM modules are creating a
> raid array - hard to know for sure without some documentation to help me
> confirm that . . .
>

Sure, if it can detect that you have the BIOS set so that the devices
are RAIDed it will detect them as one RAIDed drive. If that is not what
you want, turn off RAID in the BIOS ... if it is what you want, great

>> To do software raid with LVM over it, you have to do it all manually.
>> First creating the raid devices, and then adding the resulting md devices
>> as LVM partitions.
>
> Even when I created working Software RAID1 arrays with mdadm (with Centos 4.7
> rescue), on reboot the SATA drives were used by the nvidia drivers (not
> sure ?) to create the array with LVM VG/LV, and then md could not start the
> software raid1 arrays.

Again, that is what you would expect if you did not do the nodmraid
option (or turn off RAID in your BIOS). CentOS-4 does not see that as
hardware RAID ... CentOS-5 does.


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:08 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org