Old 12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Rick Barnes

Default Connecting to a Windows server via NFS

Hello,

I realize this may be off-topic for this mailing-list, but at this point
I am not sure where the problem is continue troubleshooting. We have a
server that has Windows Unified Data Storage Server that is supposed the
be able to provide NFS shares. I have attempted to setup a NFS share and
I think I have it setup correctly on the server. I have the User
Mappings created on the Windows server and share setup.

When I mount the share from my CentOS server, I get this:

# mount -o rw storage:/share /srv/nfs
# ls -l
total 1
drwx------ 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 Dec 11 14:46 nfs
# ls -l nfs
ls: nfs: Permission denied

My guess would be permissions on the Windows server, but the test it, I
have setup "Everyone" to have full control of the share while I test it.
If anyone has experience with SFU and would be will to give me some
pointers that would be great.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 12-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Steven Haigh

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 10:56:36AM -0500, Rick Barnes wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I realize this may be off-topic for this mailing-list, but at this point
> I am not sure where the problem is continue troubleshooting. We have a
> server that has Windows Unified Data Storage Server that is supposed the
> be able to provide NFS shares. I have attempted to setup a NFS share and
> I think I have it setup correctly on the server. I have the User
> Mappings created on the Windows server and share setup.
>
> When I mount the share from my CentOS server, I get this:
>
> # mount -o rw storage:/share /srv/nfs
> # ls -l
> total 1
> drwx------ 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 Dec 11 14:46 nfs
> # ls -l nfs
> ls: nfs: Permission denied
>
> My guess would be permissions on the Windows server, but the test it, I
> have setup "Everyone" to have full control of the share while I test it.
> If anyone has experience with SFU and would be will to give me some
> pointers that would be great.

It's been a long time since I've done this, but from memory, there's a UID/GID
to windows accounts/groups mapping that happens. It sounds like this part isn't
configured correctly to make it work with your setup.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@crc.id.au
Web: http://www.crc.id.au
Phone: (03) 9001 6090 - 0412 935 897

Usenet is a sewer. Don't waste soap trying to clean it. - reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

Old 12-12-2007, 03:05 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

Rick Barnes wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I realize this may be off-topic for this mailing-list, but at
> this point
> I am not sure where the problem is continue troubleshooting. We have a
> server that has Windows Unified Data Storage Server that is
> supposed the
> be able to provide NFS shares. I have attempted to setup a
> NFS share and
> I think I have it setup correctly on the server. I have the User
> Mappings created on the Windows server and share setup.
>
> When I mount the share from my CentOS server, I get this:
>
> # mount -o rw storage:/share /srv/nfs
> # ls -l
> total 1
> drwx------ 2 4294967294 4294967294 64 Dec 11 14:46 nfs
> # ls -l nfs
> ls: nfs: Permission denied
>
> My guess would be permissions on the Windows server, but the
> test it, I
> have setup "Everyone" to have full control of the share while
> I test it.
> If anyone has experience with SFU and would be will to give me some
> pointers that would be great.

You will need to setup the "Administrator" or "root" permissions
separately on the SFU server.

Otherwise test it with some other user account on the CentOS box.

-Ross

Old 12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Jayson Rowe

[...]

Rick,
I'm not sure if you've seen this guide yet, but it may help you out:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sfu/archive/2007/04/19/set-up-server-for-nfs-in-windows-server-2003-r2.aspx

Jayson

Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 PM
"Jeff Larsen"

> My guess would be permissions on the Windows server, but the test it, I
> have setup "Everyone" to have full control of the share while I test it.
> If anyone has experience with SFU and would be will to give me some
> pointers that would be great.

"Everyone" permissions has no application to NFS shares.

This is more of a Windows issue than CentOS, so feel free to contact
me off-list.

Sorry to ask the obvious, but are you sure you are configuring the
share via the "NFS Sharing" tab and not the "Sharing" tab in the
Properties dialog? They are completely different animals. You don't
specify user permissions for NFS shares other than which hosts have
access and whether or not the root user has access.

If your share is set up right, then I would suspect that your
implementation of User Name Mapping may be incorrect. I'm using
Storage Server 2003 which should be more or less the same as your
Windows box, so I should be able to offer additional assistance with
Mapping if that is the issue.

We access Windows NFS from CentOS all day, every day, so I know it can
be done. Once you are up and running, I would be interested in your
observations on performance. We have occasional problems with
concurrency. While one process is rsync-ing a bunch of small files to
NFS, another machine accessing a different NFS share will get
"permission denied" and the Windows Event log will show "A User Name
Mapping error has occurred" with no helpful details. Still scratching
our heads on that one.

Jeff