FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default iptables local forwarding

Robert Spangler wrote:

On Thursday 23 October 2008 09:53, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:


> Try adding it manually to the iptables config.
>
> # vim /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>
> And then restart iptables.

Not recommended. Do 'service iptables save' as Filipe posted.


You will need to explain why this is 'Not recommended'.


Never had typos?


I do this all the time without issues.


Good for you.


In fact this is how I build my tables. No GUI or save options.




Heh. /me chops down RH-Firewall-1 on sight.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 AM
Christopher Chan
 
Default iptables local forwarding

Max Hetrick wrote:

Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:


Not recommended. Do 'service iptables save' as Filipe posted.


I've never had any issues doing so. I know Johnny has recommended that
several times on the list as well. If he says it works, then I would say
it can't hurt.


YMMV. I prefer to build one via iptables, save it, then copy the file
across to all other hosts that use the same rules.

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 AM
"Mihai T. Lazarescu"
 
Default iptables local forwarding

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 08:25:40AM +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Robert Spangler wrote:
>> On Thursday 23 October 2008 09:53, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>>
>>> > Try adding it manually to the iptables config.
>>> >
>>> > # vim /etc/sysconfig/iptables
>>> >
>>> > And then restart iptables.
>>>
>>> Not recommended. Do 'service iptables save' as Filipe posted.
>>
>> You will need to explain why this is 'Not recommended'.
>
> Never had typos?

What's your point? Typos can happen whenever the keyboard is
used for typing. That is regardless if the typing goes into
a GUI, a command line, or file editing.

We are however supposed to test our doings. Then most errors
get revealed, be them dumb typos or the more astute kind.

BTW, I also prefer a nicely commented rules file instead of
the dry list dumped by iptables-save.

Mihai
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Max Hetrick
 
Default iptables local forwarding

Christopher Chan wrote:


YMMV. I prefer to build one via iptables, save it, then copy the file
across to all other hosts that use the same rules.


Your preferred method and mine might be different, but the end result is
the same, so what does it really matter? That's rhetorical by the way,
because we both answered his question.


Let this thread die now since the question was answered.

Max
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:58 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org