Old 10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Michael Madden

Default Export restrictions on CentOS 5

What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x? Since it's a rebuild of
RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
outlined at the following page:

http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/

Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-23-2008 4:53 AM Michael Madden spake the following:
> What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x? Since it's a rebuild of
> RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
> outlined at the following page:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/
>
> Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
I don't think CentOS is a U.S. Entity, so the export restrictions are probably
different, if they exist at all.

Besides, how do you restrict something that is freely downloadable from the
internet worldwide?

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-24-2008, 01:27 AM
"Lanny Marcus"

2008/10/23 Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com>:
> on 10-23-2008 4:53 AM Michael Madden spake the following:
>> What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x? Since it's a rebuild of
>> RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
>> outlined at the following page:
>>
>> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/
>>
>> Is this correct? Thanks in advance.
> I don't think CentOS is a U.S. Entity, so the export restrictions are probably
> different, if they exist at all.
>
> Besides, how do you restrict something that is freely downloadable from the
> internet worldwide?

The URL Michael included in his post includes this data:

>Embargoed Destinations

>Red Hat's software and/or technical data may NOT be exported/reexported, either >directly or indirectly, to the following U.S. embargoed or restricted destinations:

>Cuba, Iran, Iraq, North Korea, Sudan or Syria

Michael: The U.S. regulations for export restrictions probably only
involve the Encryption utilities. As Scott pointed out, you can
probably DL CentOS worldwide, and I know there is at least one person
in Cuba who posts to this mailing list. If you are not in a country
that is in the above list (and I suspect Iraq is OK now), there should
not be a problem. Possibly Venezuela has been added to the above list,
or will be, in the future. The list involves state sponsors of
terrorism. North Korea may also be coming off the list. Lanny

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM
Johnny Hughes

Michael Madden wrote:
> What are the export restrictions on CentOS 5.x? Since it's a rebuild of
> RHEL I'd suspect it has similar restrictions to what Red Hat has
> outlined at the following page:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/licenses/export/
>
> Is this correct? Thanks in advance.

Export restrictions are only for people exporting the software. If you
are going to export CentOS to a country on the export list ... DON'T

CentOS does not export our software, however if you are asking how you
can export it, the CentOS project thinks that since we do not sell the
software that it more closely resembles the Fedora Matrix:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Export

The major difference between the RHEL and Fedora is that Fedora is not a
commercial product (and neither is CentOS). As such, we feel CentOS
falls under the TSU exemption WRT licensing. CentOS should not be
exported to any countries on the exempt list.

I also want to again stress that if YOU (a company) are going to export
CentOS then YOU (said company) have to determine the licensing
requirements with respect to the way YOU (said company) are using and
exporting CentOS. If you are distributing it with commercial software
(for example) then it would probably NOT fall under the TSU exemption.

We think that all versions of CentOS fall under the 5D002 ECCN.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes