Old 10-23-2008, 11:22 AM
"Geoff Galitz"

Default device driver useage

Under Centos 5.X, how can I determine with 100% certainty what driver is
associated with a given device other than referencing dmesg? For example,
what tool can I use to tell for sure what driver is attached to my eth0
device?

I have searched the web, but could not find anything that answered my
question.

Geoff Galitz
Blankenheim NRW, Deutschland
http://www.galitz.org

Old 10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Scott McClanahan

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 13:22 +0200, Geoff Galitz wrote:

> Under Centos 5.X, how can I determine with 100% certainty what driver is
> associated with a given device other than referencing dmesg? For example,
> what tool can I use to tell for sure what driver is attached to my eth0
> device?

One way is to crawl the sys file system. On one of my systems the
driver can be seen by viewing the target in
the /sys/class/net/eth0/driver link.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
"Geoff Galitz"

Thanks. Unfortunately that link does not appear on my Centos box.

I will simply file this under "would be thing to have in the future."
Perhaps I just found myself a neat little project.

-geoff