Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default OT: Setting a CentOS to gateway a private IP address

On Tue, October 21, 2008 15:12, nate wrote:

> Seems like your trying to route through the linux box? Have you
> enabled ip forwarding and checked your iptables ruleset to make
> sure that either the default policy is ACCEPT or that you have
> specific rules in there that allow forwarding?

I believe so.

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
# iptables -L -n
blah blah
ACCEPT all -- 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.219.0/24
REJECT all -- 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

#

To be sure that the firewall was not the source of trouble I temporarily
turned it off and observed no change in behaviour from that previously
reported.

Another correspondent pointed out that I may need to run routed to
propagate the routing information from the host to the network.

On: Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 3:20 PM, Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:

>>From any other host on 2xx.1xx.y7y.0/24 I cannot ping 192.168.219.102
>
> You need to have a route in the Cisco's table for 192.168.219.0/24 or
> you need to get RIP working between 2xx.yyy.zzz.23 and 2xx.yyy.zzz.1
>
>> What setup steps on the CentOS host have I overlooked or what
>> configuration errors have I committed?
>
> Probably getting routed/gated running, setting active/passive
> interfaces, broadcast or multicast RIP, host routes/default routes,
> etc.

So, I will look into this.

Thanks for the help.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 10-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Les Mikesell

James B. Byrne wrote:

Seems like your trying to route through the linux box? Have you
enabled ip forwarding and checked your iptables ruleset to make
sure that either the default policy is ACCEPT or that you have
specific rules in there that allow forwarding?

I believe so.

# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
1
# iptables -L -n
blah blah
ACCEPT all -- 0.0.0.0/0 192.168.219.0/24
REJECT all -- 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0 reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

Do you permit returning packets somewhere?

To be sure that the firewall was not the source of trouble I temporarily
turned it off and observed no change in behaviour from that previously
reported.

Another correspondent pointed out that I may need to run routed to
propagate the routing information from the host to the network.

Or apply static routes on the other network - or NAT to the connecting
interface address on the way out.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
"James B. Byrne"

I have discovered quagga and installed it on the dual-homed CentOS-5.2 box
that I am attempting to configure as a router.

Given my previous requirements and configuration:

dual-homed host running CentOS-5.2 with
eth0 = 2xx.yyy.zzz.23
eth1 = 192.168.219.1

and given that our Cisco 2605 uses ripv2 I infer that my
/etc/quagga/ripd.conf file needs to look something like this:

hostname myhost.domain.tld
password somepassword

router rip
network eth0 <--- is this correct?
network 192.168.219.0/24

Can anyone provide me with some further guidance on this together with any
recommendations respecting zebra.conf?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:53 AM
"John"

behalf of; James B. Byrne [byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca]

Old 10-24-2008, 04:47 PM
"James B. Byrne"

The solution to this proved quite simple, once I grasped the fact that all
routers on a common network have to route for that network (duhh!!!) as
well as any others that they may handle.

So the ripd.conf file looks like this:

--->
! -*- rip -*-
!
! RIPd configuration file
!
hostname a.b.domain.tld
password xxxxxxxx
enable password xxxxxxxx

router rip
network 2aa.bbb.ccc.0/24
network 192.168.219.0/24

log stdout
<---

And it works.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:59 PM
Les Mikesell

James B. Byrne wrote:

The solution to this proved quite simple, once I grasped the fact that all
routers on a common network have to route for that network (duhh!!!) as
well as any others that they may handle.

So the ripd.conf file looks like this:

--->
! -*- rip -*-
!
! RIPd configuration file
!
hostname a.b.domain.tld
password xxxxxxxx
enable password xxxxxxxx

router rip
network 2aa.bbb.ccc.0/24
network 192.168.219.0/24

log stdout
<---

And it works.

It's been a while since I set one of those up, but I believe the network
statements control the interfaces where the route announcements are sent
as well as the address ranges that will be routed. So if you omitted
the 2aa.bbb.ccc.0/24 network, it wouldn't send any routes out that
interface.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com