Old 10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Spike Turner

Default CentOS 4.7 Server CD - update frontpage

Perhaps with the release of the CentOS 4.7 Server CD
the frontpage at www.centos.org could be updated to
reflect this new development rather than 4.4?

Here is the announcement for those who missed it
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2008-October/015328.html

Spike.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Spike Turner wrote:
> Perhaps with the release of the CentOS 4.7 Server CD
> the frontpage at www.centos.org could be updated to
> reflect this new development rather than 4.4?

In cases like this - could you open a bug at <http://bugs.centos.org/>?

I'll take this further, though, thanks.

Cheers,

Ralph

Old 10-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Spike Turner

Ralph Angenendt wrote:

> Spike Turner wrote:
> > Perhaps with the release of the CentOS 4.7 Server CD
> > the frontpage at www.centos.org could be updated to
> > reflect this new development rather than 4.4?
>
> In cases like this - could you open a bug at
> <http://bugs.centos.org/>?
>
> I'll take this further, though, thanks.

This is one of the things I don't understand at the
totalitarian republic of CentOS. I believe an announcement
was made also to distrowatch and when people come looking
they find out of date information.

Bugs/bugzilla should be for reporting bugs at least that
is the way it is elsewhere.

Spike.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Ralph Angenendt

Spike Turner wrote:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
> > Spike Turner wrote:
> > > Perhaps with the release of the CentOS 4.7 Server CD
> > > the frontpage at www.centos.org could be updated to
> > > reflect this new development rather than 4.4?
> >
> > In cases like this - could you open a bug at
> > <http://bugs.centos.org/>?
> >
> > I'll take this further, though, thanks.
>
> This is one of the things I don't understand at the
> totalitarian republic of CentOS. I believe an announcement
> was made also to distrowatch and when people come looking
> they find out of date information.

Let us call it an oversight?

> Bugs/bugzilla should be for reporting bugs at least that
> is the way it is elsewhere.

And presenting out of date information is not a bug in your opinion?

Ralph

Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-23-2008 3:34 AM Spike Turner spake the following:
> Ralph Angenendt wrote:
>
>> Spike Turner wrote:
>>> Perhaps with the release of the CentOS 4.7 Server CD
>>> the frontpage at www.centos.org could be updated to
>>> reflect this new development rather than 4.4?
>> In cases like this - could you open a bug at
>> <http://bugs.centos.org/>?
>>
>> I'll take this further, though, thanks.
>>

> This is one of the things I don't understand at the
> totalitarian republic of CentOS. I believe an announcement
> was made also to distrowatch and when people come looking
> they find out of date information.
>
> Bugs/bugzilla should be for reporting bugs at least that
> is the way it is elsewhere.
>
> Spike.
I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the CD and announced it
isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.

Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-23-2008, 05:55 PM
MHR

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

> I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the CD and announced it
> isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.
>
> Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.

This is obviously a bug that should be fixed....

;^)

mhr

Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 PM
John Hinton

MHR wrote:

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:

I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the CD and announced it
isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.

Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.

This is obviously a bug that should be fixed....

;^)

mhr

I think all Server CD downloads and links should be permanently removed
from the website to avoid these issues in the future. Perhaps all of the
other volunteered 'free' stuff as well. This issue has created a nasty
tone on this list and we don't want any nasty tones on this list. In
order to better align all members of this list, please remove all
packages from the repository which might be used for a graphical
interface and revert back to the old package selection tool from RH 5.2.
This way we will all be on pure server installs and not further be
divided. To this end, we will no longer need the Server CD as one will
be able to totally control an install at which point we should all be
united and happy again.

Whew!!! Everyone's systems must really be running nicely these days!

What happened to the good old threads... like on what particular date
will you release Centos 7.3?

John Hinton

Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM
Spike Turner

Scott Silva wrote:

> I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the
> CD and announced it
> isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.
>
> Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.

I would have thought that updating the website, wikis etc
should be delegated to several individuals in case one person
is too busy. Isn't open source and community participation
more than an individual?

The success of the Fedora Project is not about the muscle
of Red Hat Inc but the participation of many volunteers and
the community at large. That is why for the example the Fedora
Forum or Fedora website are relevant because of continued
updates. (Even If Toracat from the CentOS forum disagrees).

Spike.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:05 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Scott Silva wrote:
> I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the CD and
> announced it isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.
>
> Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.

Well, it is an "official" CentOS product. As said - oversight (and not
fixed yet).

Cheers,

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 10-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Spike Turner wrote:
> I would have thought that updating the website, wikis etc
> should be delegated to several individuals in case one person
> is too busy.

And now what happens if the website guy doesn't is too busy while the guy
releasing the Server CD isn't? >

Cheers,

CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org