Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 PM
R P Herrold

Default CentOS 4.7 Server CD - update frontpage

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008, Spike Turner wrote:

R P Herrold wrote:

You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
is still showing out of date info.

Please remind me of your bug number filed on this. I have
read all new filings to date and must have missed it.

-- Russ herrold

Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM
Johnny Hughes

Spike Turner wrote:
> R P Herrold wrote:
>
>> yada, yada, grumble, mumble
>
> You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
> is still showing out of date info. You and Ralph
> could have stopped wasting time and simply edited
> the link to 4.7 instead of 4.4 as is the case now.
>
> Is the "C" in CentOS supposed to be "Community" or
> "Communist"? Maybe "T" from "Totalitarian" would be more
> appropriate?
>
> Spike.

It is not about you ... please stop bring a complete ass.

I edit the CentOS main page ... and you know what, there are only so
many hours in a day, where I have to do $work so I can eat and pay for
my house, as well as spend 40-60 hours a week on a free project so you
can have a free operating system that you do not appreciate. So that
you can then tell me that I do not do enough things for free to suit
your taste ... you know what ... i do not give a flying F$$$ what you
think. I do not care at all ... not one tiny little bit. Nope, nada,
don't care ... I CAN'T HEAR YOU ... LA LA LA LA

The main CentOS page is there to explain the product and provide links,
it would be quite nice if we had a sugar daddy like feodra ... it would
also be nice if we had 1500 people who would do the web page updates,
but you know what ... that is not what we have. We are not Debian or
Fedora with thousands of developers or dollars. We are a group of 10-20
active developers who care about the code, the ISOs and the trees that
we distribute. The main website is not our major concern, though we
would like it to be up2date, and did try to update it.

If you don't like it .. GREAT .. please move to another distro that has
more tolerance for whining, non-appreciative, 12 year-old antics.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
"Lanny Marcus"

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@centos.org> wrote:
> Spike Turner wrote:
>> R P Herrold wrote:
>>
>>> yada, yada, grumble, mumble
>>
>> You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
>> is still showing out of date info. You and Ralph
>> could have stopped wasting time and simply edited
>> the link to 4.7 instead of 4.4 as is the case now.
>>
>> Is the "C" in CentOS supposed to be "Community" or
>> "Communist"? Maybe "T" from "Totalitarian" would be more
>> appropriate?
>>
>> Spike.
>
> It is not about you ... please stop bring a complete ass.
>
> I edit the CentOS main page ... and you know what, there are only so
> many hours in a day, where I have to do $work so I can eat and pay for
> my house, as well as spend 40-60 hours a week on a free project so you
> can have a free operating system that you do not appreciate. So that
> you can then tell me that I do not do enough things for free to suit
> your taste ... you know what ... i do not give a flying F$$$ what you
> think. I do not care at all ... not one tiny little bit. Nope, nada,
> don't care ... I CAN'T HEAR YOU ... LA LA LA LA
>
> The main CentOS page is there to explain the product and provide links,
> it would be quite nice if we had a sugar daddy like feodra ... it would
> also be nice if we had 1500 people who would do the web page updates,
> but you know what ... that is not what we have. We are not Debian or
> Fedora with thousands of developers or dollars. We are a group of 10-20
> active developers who care about the code, the ISOs and the trees that
> we distribute. The main website is not our major concern, though we
> would like it to be up2date, and did try to update it.
>
> If you don't like it .. GREAT .. please move to another distro that has
> more tolerance for whining, non-appreciative, 12 year-old antics.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

I believe Johnny's words were very well chosen, accurate, excellent
and to the point. He and the other CentOS Developers should know how
much 99% of the CentOS user base appreciate their hard work, time and
dedication to this project. Very rare for us to see Johnny respond
like this and he was correct to do this. I don't think I have ever
seen him write something like that before. How easy it is to be
critical and call people "Communists", on a public, technical mailing
list.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
Spike Turner

Lanny Marcus wrote:

> I believe Johnny's words were very well chosen,
> accurate, excellent
> and to the point. He and the other CentOS Developers should
> know how
> much 99% of the CentOS user base appreciate their hard
> work, time and
> dedication to this project. Very rare for us to see Johnny
> respond
> like this and he was correct to do this. I don't think
> I have ever
> seen him write something like that before. How easy it is
> to be
> critical and call people "Communists", on a
> public, technical mailing
> list.

I believe it was a rhetorical question if the C is for
the non-existent "Community participation" or if the C is
for "Communism". Nowhere were people called "Communists".

Spike.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Spike Turner

Johnny Hughes wrote:

> It is not about you ... please stop bring a complete ass.
>
> I edit the CentOS main page ... and you know what, there
> are only so
> many hours in a day, where I have to do $work so I can eat
> and pay for
> my house, as well as spend 40-60 hours a week on a free
> project so you
> can have a free operating system that you do not
> appreciate. So that
> you can then tell me that I do not do enough things for
> free to suit
> your taste ... you know what ... i do not give a flying
> F$$$ what you
> think. I do not care at all ... not one tiny little bit.
> Nope, nada,
> don't care ... I CAN'T HEAR YOU ... LA LA LA LA
>
> The main CentOS page is there to explain the product and
> provide links,
>
> The main website is not our major concern,
> though we
> would like it to be up2date, and did try to update it.
>
> If you don't like it .. GREAT .. please move to another
> distro that has
> more tolerance for whining, non-appreciative, 12 year-old
> antics.

Calm down Johnny, don't lose it. Some constructive criticism
should be welcomed. I thought the withholding of kernel updates
for two weeks and the non-update of the CentOS webpage were a
deliberate action by the same individual(s) but I may have been
wrong.

I would not like CentOS to go the same way as Whitebox and 10-20
devs "should" in a community share the roles rather than leaving
it all to one person.

Spike.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Tru Huynh