Old 10-23-2008, 07:15 PM
Scott Silva

Default CentOS 4.7 Server CD - update frontpage

on 10-23-2008 11:57 AM John Hinton spake the following:
> MHR wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 9:11 AM, Scott Silva
>> <ssilva@sgvwater.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I think the problem is that the volunteer that created the CD and
>>> announced it
>>> isn't the same volunteer that updates the website.
>>>
>>> Volunteers usually have varying amounts of free time.
>>>

>> This is obviously a bug that should be fixed....
>>
>> ;^)
>>
>> mhr
>>
> I think all Server CD downloads and links should be permanently removed
> from the website to avoid these issues in the future. Perhaps all of the
> other volunteered 'free' stuff as well. This issue has created a nasty
> tone on this list and we don't want any nasty tones on this list. In
> order to better align all members of this list, please remove all
> packages from the repository which might be used for a graphical
> interface and revert back to the old package selection tool from RH 5.2.
> This way we will all be on pure server installs and not further be
> divided. To this end, we will no longer need the Server CD as one will
> be able to totally control an install at which point we should all be
> united and happy again.
>

> Whew!!! Everyone's systems must really be running nicely these days!
>
> What happened to the good old threads... like on what particular date
> will you release Centos 7.3?
> John Hinton
I wasn't bashing, I just assumed that different people in the CentOS chain had
much different schedules as to what gets done when.

I don't expect up to the minute changes here, because ... frankly... You get
what you pay for. And since most users of CentOS aren't paying, the developers
have to keep day jobs for those luxuries like food and heat, a roof over their
heads, etc...

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Spike Turner <spiketurner09@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The success of the Fedora Project is not about the muscle
> of Red Hat Inc but the participation of many volunteers and
> the community at large. That is why for the example the Fedora
> Forum or Fedora website are relevant because of continued
> updates. (Even If Toracat from the CentOS forum disagrees).
>
> Spike.

Eh? If you are saying that the Fedora forum is a success and the
CentOS forums are a failure, then I would certainly disagree.

I would like to point out that, although I am helping the CentOS
project as one of the forum moderators, I have been participating in
several CentOS mailing lists as well. I know how both venues work and
address different audience. And I can say both are serving their
purposes very well in the CentOS community, often complimenting each
other.

Akemi

Old 10-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Spike Turner

Akemi Yagi wrote:

> Eh? If you are saying that the Fedora forum is a success
> and the
> CentOS forums are a failure, then I would certainly
> disagree.
>
> I would like to point out that, although I am helping the
> CentOS
> project as one of the forum moderators, I have been
> participating in
> several CentOS mailing lists as well. I know how both
> venues work and
> address different audience. And I can say both are serving
> their
> purposes very well in the CentOS community, often
> complimenting each
> other.

I'm not saying "failure" - but community participation.
For example the fedora forum contains relevant news and
http://fedoraproject.org/ is a goldmine compared to the
centos website. There is even a fedora weekly news.

I was reading the comments on Slashdot of the Wikipedia guy
who migrated his servers from Red Hat 9/Fedora to CentOS
and he asked who "uses CentOS as a desktop"?.
Why didn't he ask the same of Fedora or Ubuntu?

Spike.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Ralph Angenendt

Spike Turner wrote:
> I was reading the comments on Slashdot of the Wikipedia guy
> who migrated his servers from Red Hat 9/Fedora to CentOS
> and he asked who "uses CentOS as a desktop"?.
> Why didn't he ask the same of Fedora or Ubuntu?

I don't know, do you?

I am trying to understand what you are trying to troll for here - if you think
that there's a lack of community participation, then just say so. Fedora
Weekly news was put into life by someone loosely attached to the Fedora
Project - a community member, so to say. If you are missing something like
that, you are free to enhance the work you do in the community.

If you just came here to complain about how other people don't help in the
community and that that lowers your CentOS experience - well, tough luck.

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Spike Turner

Scott Silva wrote:

> I don't expect up to the minute changes here, because
> ... frankly... You get
> what you pay for. And since most users of CentOS aren't
> paying, the developers
> have to keep day jobs for those luxuries like food and
> heat, a roof over their
> heads, etc...

Interesting. Yet volunteer-run projects like Debian run
without the same hiccups? How so may I ask?

Spike.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-23-2008 1:12 PM Spike Turner spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>
>> I don't expect up to the minute changes here, because
>> ... frankly... You get
>> what you pay for. And since most users of CentOS aren't
>> paying, the developers
>> have to keep day jobs for those luxuries like food and
>> heat, a roof over their
>> heads, etc...
>>

> Interesting. Yet volunteer-run projects like Debian run
> without the same hiccups? How so may I ask?
>
> Spike.
Probably a lot more Debian volunteers.
http://www.debian.org/devel/people = Hundreds of people

The CentOS team lists 12 ( No direct link)

Old 10-25-2008, 10:05 PM
R P Herrold

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Spike Turner wrote:

totalitarian republic of CentOS. I believe an announcement

All sources used by CentOS are freely available under a
distributable license, as are those for patched RPMs
consistent with its GPL obligation when _distributing_ the
product of another; the CentOS art and security keying are
about all that you'll need to change when you found your new
republic, Plato. I think perhaps a closer read of your book
would reveal discussion of a meritocracy, governed by
philosopher kings.

Also, Spike Turner wrote:

CentOS is basically RHEL without the trademarks so it is
compatible.

Spike.

..... btw, congrats on deftly avoiding Godwin.

Please note that CentOS' art represents a trademarked item;
you appear to have missed the fact that a more correct say to
have stated that may be:

CentOS strives to be binary compatible with its
upstream, with that upstream's trademarked content
elided.

Good luck with your vision of a non-"totalitarian" future.
Please post the URL of the new project's website, and don't
forget to^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h write. Negativism, trolling
behviours, and leaching without conferring value earn places
in my personal 'killfile'

-- Russ herrold

Old 10-26-2008, 08:23 AM
Spike Turner

R P Herrold wrote:

> yada, yada, grumble, mumble

You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
is still showing out of date info. You and Ralph
could have stopped wasting time and simply edited
the link to 4.7 instead of 4.4 as is the case now.

Is the "C" in CentOS supposed to be "Community" or
"Communist"? Maybe "T" from "Totalitarian" would be more
appropriate?

Spike.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Spike Turner wrote on Sun, 26 Oct 2008 02:23:25 -0700 (PDT):

> You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
> is still showing out of date info. You and Ralph
> could have stopped wasting time and simply edited
> the link to 4.7 instead of 4.4 as is the case now.
>
> Is the "C" in CentOS supposed to be "Community" or
> "Communist"? Maybe "T" from "Totalitarian" would be more
> appropriate?

You are getting on my nerves. You found a bug, a missing update of the
homepage, you reported it here, you were thanked. Then you started some
kind of private war that nobody here understands or is interested to
follow. If you want to abuse a mailing list, please open your own, but
shut up *here*!

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-26-2008, 11:37 AM
William Warren

Spike Turner wrote:

R P Herrold wrote:

yada, yada, grumble, mumble

You know after all this time the CentOS frontpage
is still showing out of date info. You and Ralph

could have stopped wasting time and simply edited
the link to 4.7 instead of 4.4 as is the case now.

Is the "C" in CentOS supposed to be "Community" or
"Communist"? Maybe "T" from "Totalitarian" would be more

appropriate?

Spike.

If you don't like the way things are run then move onwards. You have
reported and it was acknowledged. Instead of starting fire and
throwing gasoline on it how about offering to help? That may not be an
option right now though with all the ill-will you have fostered. These
guys work hard an making centos binary compatible with RHEL and a link
on the website is understandably low priority.