Old 10-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Scott Silva

Default Replacement for Intel SDS2 Motherboard

on 10-21-2008 11:18 AM Camron W. Fox spake the following:
> Alle,
>
> We have recently had one of our office servers go south. The
> hardware was an Intel SDS2 motherboard (EATX), Dual Intel PIII 1.4GHz
> FC-PGA2-L2 512KB, 3GB (6x512MB) 168 pin DIMM, SDRAM 133MHz/PC-133-ECC
> with 1x3Ware 7006-2 and 2x3Ware 7506-4LP RAID controllers. The OS was
> RHEL3. Apparently, according to the beep codes, there has been an FRB
> failure.
> I've migrated most of the services
> (mail,web,proxy,samba,mysql,mailman,home directories) to an interim box
> running CentOS 5.2.
> At a minimum, I need to replace the motherboard and CPUS (I'm told
> they are unrecoverable). All the remaining hardware I plan to re-use, as
> well as moving from RHEL to CentOS.
> Does anyone have any recommendations on replacement motherboards
> with CentOS 5.2 in mind, along with the re-usable hardware requirements?
>
> Best Regards,
> Camron

I have doubts that you will be able to re-use memory, unless you can find
something in old stock somewhere. No new boards use PC-133 memory that I know
of. But 3 gigs of new memory are *relatively* inexpensive. If the raid cards
are PCI, they should still be usable. The case might be usable, if you can
find EATX motherboard. IMHO a server is too critical a piece of hardware to
re-use parts unless it is a spare or secondary backup point.

By the specs, that server has probably already served for 5 years or more.
If you are willing to use refurbished parts you can look here;

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=G7ESZ-WB-R&cat=MBB

Or if your budget can go higher

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SE7501BR2-KIT-R&cat=MBB

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SE7501CW2-K2&cat=MBB

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-21-2008, 06:58 PM
John Plemons

Title: Signature Card JEP

What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...

All Xeons

john plemons

Scott Silva wrote:

[...]

Electro Mavin
Tennessee for website

423-746-2846 ( 423-74-MAVIN ) - Local

888-756-2846 ( 888-75-MAVIN ) - Toll Free

423-746-2692 FAX

eMail john@mavin.com

Old 10-21-2008, 07:16 PM
John R Pierce

John Plemons wrote:
What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...

All Xeons

he's got 3 raid cards in his current server.

1 x 3Ware 7006-2 - PCI 32bit 66MHz (probably fits in a PCI-X slow?) - 2 x ATA/133
2 x 3Ware 7506-4LP - PCI 64bit 66Mhz (PCI-X?) - 4 x ATA 133

which he says he needs to keep.

so this implies he has up to 10 IDE drives in this system. few if any newer server cases would support this sort of storage configuration. It also implies he needs 3 x PCI-X slots, most newer servers have gone to PCI-Express X4 or X8 slots for these purposes.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:20 PM
"nate"

John R Pierce wrote:
> John Plemons wrote:
>> What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
>> warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...
>>
>> All Xeons
>
> he's got 3 raid cards in his current server.
>
> 1 x 3Ware 7006-2 - PCI 32bit 66MHz (probably fits in a PCI-X slow?) - 2 x
> ATA/133
> 2 x 3Ware 7506-4LP - PCI 64bit 66Mhz (PCI-X?) - 4 x ATA 133

There may be issues with the 3ware 7xxx series cards in the latest
and greatest kernels, as 7xxx is really really old. I run a couple
of 8000 series 3Ware cards and support is alright, though a bunch of
things don't work with the driver in the 2.6.x kernel(mostly around
monitoring and maintenance)

nate

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 PM
"Camron W. Fox"

John Plemons wrote:
What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...

All Xeons

john plemons

John,

Extended ATX.

Best Regards,
Camron

Camron W. Fox
Hilo Office
High Performance Computing Group
Fujitsu Management Services of America, Inc.
E-mail: cwfox@us.fujitsu.com

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
John R Pierce

Camron W. Fox wrote:

John Plemons wrote:
What case form factor are you looking for, I may have a new IBM under
warranty that I can sell to you for what you are looking to spend...

Extended ATX.

Case formfactor is like tower, pedestal, 1U, 2U, ...

Extended ATX is a motherboard form factor.

you're going to need new motherboard, new ram, new CPUs... you really
should be looking for new SERVER. your existing 5+ year old 10 ATA
drives are likely only a few 100GB or so total, organized as at least 3
seperate raids ? (raids can't span controllers).

2 mirrored SATA drives at ~ $120 or so each for 1TB (1000GB) would way
surpass what you likely have now, and be way faster.
a modern low end 2U SATA server holds 6 or 8 of these in hotswap bays,
for $2000 or so fully configured wiith a pair of drives, and a low end
dualcore CPU (which will be 10x faster than your 5 year old P3's), AND
it will have a 2-3 year warranty if its from a major vendor.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:43 PM
John Plemons

Title: Signature Card JEP

OK went through my boards, I have a Tyan

S2927G2NR

(3) PCI Slots...

See Tyan** http://www.tyan.com/product_board_spec.aspx?pid=175

Also a Tyan S3970G2NR-RS

(4) PCI Slots...* See...**
http://www.tyan.com/product_board_spec.aspx?pid=223

Boards are new and unused, and are Dual AMD Opteron's,

The S2927G2NR is complete with cables etc....* The S3970G2NR-RS is the
board only...

The S2927G2NR is $200.00, the S3979G2NR-RS is $150.00

Both have more than what he is looking for...

john

John R Pierce wrote:
John

CentOS@centos.org

Old 10-21-2008, 08:36 PM
MHR

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:43 PM, John Plemons <john@mavin.com> wrote:
> OK went through my boards, I have a Tyan

:

Could you please follow list guidelines and bottom post and trim your replies?

Thank you.

mhr

Old 10-21-2008, 08:57 PM
"Camron W. Fox"

John R Pierce wrote:
you're going to need new motherboard, new ram, new CPUs... you really
should be looking for new SERVER.

Sorry, misread. It's a tower case. And though I appreciate the advice,
you are preaching to the choir. This is not my choice, nor is it my
decision. I'm just doing the leg work.

your existing 5+ year old 10 ATA
drives are likely only a few 100GB or so total, organized as at least 3
seperate raids ? (raids can't span controllers).

Actually, 1 x 500GB (500GB/RAID0), 2 x 1.5TB (RAID5).