Old 10-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Les Mikesell

Default freenx 7.3?

Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
the session shadow mode on some machines.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-21-2008, 09:42 AM
Karanbir Singh

Les Mikesell wrote:
Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
the session shadow mode on some machines.

we have freenx in the extras/ repo at the moment, thanks to Johnny's
work How about creating an update request at bugs.centos.org ?

Old 10-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Les Mikesell

Karanbir Singh wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:
Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to
use the session shadow mode on some machines.

we have freenx in the extras/ repo at the moment, thanks to Johnny's
work How about creating an update request at bugs.centos.org ?

Done - but the bug tracker isn't very conducive to picking things in extras.

--
Les Mikesell
les#gmail.com

Old 10-24-2008, 04:28 PM
Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu

> Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
> the session shadow mode on some machines.

Oh neat! When did this get added to freenx? I've been wanted to test
that out for a long time.

Regards,

Ranbir

Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Les Mikesell

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:

Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
the session shadow mode on some machines.

Oh neat! When did this get added to freenx? I've been wanted to test
that out for a long time.

I think the 7.3 version was the first to include it. It has been in the
commercial NX versions for a while. I think those are free to use with
some connection limit but I haven't gotten around to testing it yet.

Another interesting capability is for the client to resize the whole
remote desktop screen. The Mac NX client seems to be able to do that
arbitrarily where the windows version only does it sometimes to snap the
desktop to the available window space - and sometimes not. Does anyone
know what controls this capability and how it will mesh with shadowing a
desktop tied to another client or actual video hardware?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-26-2008, 12:37 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another interesting capability is for the client to resize the whole remote
> desktop screen.

Resizing can be done by installing 'qtnx' available from the extras repository.

Akemi

Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Johnny Hughes

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
> the session shadow mode on some machines.

Les,

You can try the version of freenx here:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/nx/

(freenx-0.7.3 is there, the NX is same as released version)

If it all works well, we can release this version of freenx.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 10-28-2008, 05:13 PM
Les Mikesell

Johnny Hughes wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:

Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
the session shadow mode on some machines.

Les,

You can try the version of freenx here:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/nx/

(freenx-0.7.3 is there, the NX is same as released version)
If it all works well, we can release this version of freenx.

Thanks! The i386 version installs OK, works at least as well as the
previous version and I have been able to connect to a shadow session of
another freenx session. However, I think I'm missing something about
how to connect to a shadowed console session. If I configure the client
to use a vnc session, I can see it as vnc-local but haven't been able to
connect even though I am connecting as the same user. Do I need to set
a password for this? Is documentation for the new features available
somewhere?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Johnny Hughes

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> Has anyone built a freenx 7.3 for Centos 5? I'd like to be able to use
>>> the session shadow mode on some machines.
>>>

>> Les,
>>
>> You can try the version of freenx here:
>>
>> http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/nx/
>>
>> (freenx-0.7.3 is there, the NX is same as released version)
>> If it all works well, we can release this version of freenx.
>
> Thanks! The i386 version installs OK, works at least as well as the
> previous version and I have been able to connect to a shadow session of
> another freenx session.

Glad that it works, it also seems to work for me on i386 and x86_64.

> However, I think I'm missing something about
> how to connect to a shadowed console session. If I configure the client
> to use a vnc session, I can see it as vnc-local but haven't been able to
> connect even though I am connecting as the same user. Do I need to set
> a password for this? Is documentation for the new features available
> somewhere?

I do not know how to connect to a local vnc session using the NX client,
though I was going to look into that. If I figure something out I will
post here, though I am not sure when I can look at it.