Old 10-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Charles Campbell

Default Centos/Fedora core won't talk to an Epson Workforce 600 printer

Hello!

Has anyone had any luck getting CUPS to talk to an Epson Workforce 600
printer? I got pipslite and eklite.ppd extracted (and modified it to
use Letter instead of A4) but I can't seem to get CUPS to talk
succesfully with the printer. The printer configuration under Gnome
widget does show that CUPS detected something (pipslite:...) but when I
try to use it I get a wrapper error. The wrapper itself is in binary so
there's not much I can make of it. This was done with the Workforce600
in wireless mode.

I've had no luck with various combinations so far with direct ethernet,
wireless ethernet, http:, ipp:, lpd, socket: attempts.

Regards,
Chip Campbell

Old 10-22-2008, 04:44 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Charles Campbell
<Charles.E.Campbell@nasa.gov> wrote:
> Charles Campbell wrote:

>> Has anyone had any luck getting CUPS to talk to an Epson Workforce 600
>> printer? I got pipslite and eklite.ppd extracted (and modified it to use
>> Letter instead of A4) but I can't seem to get CUPS to talk succesfully with
>> the printer. The printer configuration under Gnome widget does show that
>> CUPS detected something (pipslite:...) but when I try to use it I get a
>> wrapper error. The wrapper itself is in binary so there's not much I can
>> make of it. This was done with the Workforce600 in wireless mode.
>>
>> I've had no luck with various combinations so far with direct ethernet,
>> wireless ethernet, http:, ipp:, lpd, socket: attempts.

Well... according to the OpenPrinting database, it's not looking good:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Epson-Workforce_600

Akemi

Old 10-23-2008, 05:44 PM
MHR

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:15 AM, Charles Campbell
<Charles.E.Campbell@nasa.gov> wrote:

> Thank you for looking.
>
> Whew! Finally found a method that worked -- had to buy a $40 USB cable, but
> with it I got the printer working under both WinXP and Linux.

What kind of USB cable costs $40? Is this one of those milspec things?

Just curious.

mhr