Old 10-20-2008, 11:49 AM
"Roberto Pereyra"

Default Delete all mail users data (mail server)

Hi

Please I would like to delete all users date mail (not accounts) in my
mail server box.

I using Centos 5 and Virtualmin with postifx (maildir) and dovecot and
sasl auth.

Once I erased simply the files in the maildir folders and broke the
dovecot setup (dovecot cache or index).

Which is the correct way of doing it?

Thanks in advance.

roberto

--
Ing. Roberto Pereyra
ContenidosOnline

Get secure managed email for your own domain with Hushmail Business -
http://www.hushmail.com/business?l=503&a=3211

Old 10-20-2008, 01:45 PM
mouss

Roberto Pereyra a écrit :
> Hi
>
> Please I would like to delete all users date mail (not accounts) in my
> mail server box.
>
> I using Centos 5 and Virtualmin with postifx (maildir) and dovecot and
> sasl auth.
>
> Once I erased simply the files in the maildir folders and broke the
> dovecot setup (dovecot cache or index).
>
> Which is the correct way of doing it?

delete files from cur/ and new/ subdirs is enough. deleting index files
is good but dovecot will regenerate them anyway.

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM
Bill Campbell

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008, mouss wrote:
>Roberto Pereyra a écrit :
>> Hi
>>
>> Please I would like to delete all users date mail (not accounts) in my
>> mail server box.
>>
>> I using Centos 5 and Virtualmin with postifx (maildir) and dovecot and
>> sasl auth.
>>
>> Once I erased simply the files in the maildir folders and broke the
>> dovecot setup (dovecot cache or index).
>>
>> Which is the correct way of doing it?
>>

>delete files from cur/ and new/ subdirs is enough. deleting index files
>is good but dovecot will regenerate them anyway.

A somewhat more sophisticated approach might be to clean out old
files using find. This would remove everything over 30 days old
from username's Maildir.

find ~usrname/Maildir/ -type f -mtime +30 | xargs rm

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

The pinnacle of open systems is: when moving from vendor to vendor, the
design flaws stay the same.