FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-19-2008, 03:02 PM
William Warren
 
Default cannot start Mysql

what errors ar you getting? Have you checked the logs?

Obantec Support wrote:

Hi
New to CentOS 5.2 today.
I cannot get MySQL 5.0.45 (default install) to start. X Fedora user.

Mark
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 PM
"Obantec Support"
 
Default cannot start Mysql

----- Original Message -----
From: "William Warren" <hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com>

To: "CentOS mailing list" <centos@centos.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] cannot start Mysql



what errors ar you getting? Have you checked the logs?

Obantec Support wrote:

Hi
New to CentOS 5.2 today.
I cannot get MySQL 5.0.45 (default install) to start. X Fedora user.

Mark
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos



Hi

i tried /etc/init.d/rc.d/mysqld start
mysqld does not exist on the server.

no /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
no /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
no /var/log/mysqld.log

this is a clean install from CentOS DVD iso.

i tried the mysqld script from my FC3 install and got the following

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 11:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 14:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 17:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 20:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 22:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 63:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 82:
: command not found
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 86:
: command not found
chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
Initializing MySQL database: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 498:
/usr/bin/mysql_install_db: No such file or directory

[FAILED]
chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 108:
: command not found

I get the feeling i need use yum to get some more mysql packages. big clue
is previously user:group mysql:mysql are set-up by an rpm.


rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
is installed

the DVD has devel and server rpm's which i think as a minimum need to be
installed.


Mark


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 05:45 PM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default cannot start Mysql

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 18:01 +0100, Obantec Support wrote:
> <snip>

> Hi
>
> i tried /etc/init.d/rc.d/mysqld start
> mysqld does not exist on the server.

I suspect there are some docs on your system that describe what's
needed. I don't use it for anything not part of the normal system
install, so I can't be sure of that.

>
> no /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
> no /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
> no /var/log/mysqld.log
>
> this is a clean install from CentOS DVD iso.
>
> i tried the mysqld script from my FC3 install and got the following

Since EL5 is based on FC6 (IIRC), not surprising.

>
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 11:
> : command not found
> <snip a bunch of similar lines>

> chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
> Initializing MySQL database: /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions: line 498:
> /usr/bin/mysql_install_db: No such file or directory
> [FAILED]
> chown: `mysql:mysql': invalid user
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: line 108:
> : command not found
>
> I get the feeling i need use yum to get some more mysql packages. big clue
> is previously user:group mysql:mysql are set-up by an rpm.

Again, I don't use it. But I suspect that any mysql component
installation (or the even base install as a default installation) could
set up user and group entries. But my 5.2 doesn't have it, so probably
not one of those two situations.

>
> rpm -qa | grep mysql
> mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
> is installed
>
> the DVD has devel and server rpm's which i think as a minimum need to be
> installed.
>
> Mark
> <snip>

I don't use it myself, but maybe there's a clue below? The difference is
I don't have the c5-media enabled. If you have yours available, you
would leave it enabled.

# yum --enablerepo=* --disablerepo=c5-media groupinfo 'MySQL Database'
<snip>
Setting up Group Process
Checking for new repos for mirrors

Group: MySQL Database
Description: This package group contains packages useful for use with
MySQL.
Mandatory Packages:
mysql
Default Packages:
MySQL-python
libdbi-dbd-mysql
mysql-connector-odbc
mysql-server
perl-DBD-MySQL
unixODBC
Optional Packages:
mod_auth_mysql
mysql-bench
mysql-devel
php-mysql
qt-MySQL

Maybe one of those is what you need? Check the installed, use yum info
to find out which, etc.

In the future, please initially post a more appropriate amount of
information describing the problem, such as *symptoms* ("won't start" as
the only symptom is going to be ignored by a lot of folks that might be
able to help), pertinent components installed, what you've already
investigated and those results, etc.

And please snip portions of thread not need to maintain context, such as
useless signature lines, tangential conversation, etc.

HTH
--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Duncan
 
Default cannot start Mysql

Obantec Support wrote:



rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
is installed


Yum install mysql-server

Dunc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 07:03 PM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default cannot start Mysql

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:38 +0100, Duncan wrote:
> Obantec Support wrote:
> >
> >
> > rpm -qa | grep mysql
> > mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
> > is installed
> >
> Yum install mysql-server

That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
*group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
Would save typing. :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
point.

>
> Dunc
> <snip sig stuff>

--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Duncan
 
Default cannot start Mysql

William L. Maltby wrote:

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:38 +0100, Duncan wrote:


Obantec Support wrote:


rpm -qa | grep mysql
mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
is installed



Yum install mysql-server



That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
*group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
Would save typing. :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
point.


You might making it a lot more complicated than need be.

For most uses, just the mysql-server package (and any dependencies yum
brings in) will be fine.


(waits to be shot down by a very specific or complicated use from the OP
that requires the group install..)


Dunc


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 07:49 PM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default cannot start Mysql

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 20:25 +0100, Duncan wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:38 +0100, Duncan wrote:
> >
> >> Obantec Support wrote:
> >>
> >>> rpm -qa | grep mysql
> >>> mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
> >>> is installed
> >>>
> >>>
> >> Yum install mysql-server
> >>
> >
> > That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
> > install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
> > *group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
> > probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
> > ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
> > too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
> > Would save typing. :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
> > point.
> >
> You might making it a lot more complicated than need be.

I'm hostage to my background! :-(

>
> For most uses, just the mysql-server package (and any dependencies yum
> brings in) will be fine.

Since OP knows more about what he's going to be doing, maybe "yum info"
will save him some future aggravation. OTOH, no use making it too
complicated. He can just try and see what happens.

>
> (waits to be shot down by a very specific or complicated use from the OP
> that requires the group install..)

He-he! But yours would be only a "flesh wound". His might be more
severe. ;-)

>
> Dunc
> <snip>

--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Spike Turner
 
Default cannot start Mysql

Duncan wrote:

> Yum install mysql-server
>

There are many tutorials on teh web for getting LAMP on CentOS
5 specifically and this is a cut and paste from one of them :-

Install Required Packages :-

Enter yum install mysql mysql-devel mysql-server to download and
install MySQL then Enter chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on to set
MySQL to start when your server boots

As easy as ABC, I don't know where he is getting information for
FC3 when the info on CentOS 5 is sufficient.

Spike.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl
 
Default cannot start Mysql

Obantec Support wrote on Sun, 19 Oct 2008 18:01:59 +0100:

> the DVD has devel and server rpm's which i think as a minimum need to be
> installed.

of course, you need at least the server package if you want to sue the
mysql server ...
And the correct command to start is "service servicename start" then.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany
Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-20-2008, 07:14 AM
"Obantec Support"
 
Default cannot start Mysql

----- Original Message -----
From: "William L. Maltby" <CentOS4Bill@triad.rr.com>

To: "CentOS mailing list" <centos@centos.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 19, 2008 8:03 PM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] cannot start Mysql




On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 19:38 +0100, Duncan wrote:

Obantec Support wrote:
>
>
> rpm -qa | grep mysql
> mysql-5.0.45-7.el5
> is installed
>
Yum install mysql-server


That makes me think OP did a yum install mysql instead of a yum group
install. Per the output in my previous post, default packages for the
*group* include mysql-server. If my assumption is correct, he'll
probably hit more stumbling blocks, depending on what he's doing
ultimately, as other parts of a default install will likely be missing
too. Might be better to unstall (that *ought* to be a valid word, huh?
Would save typing. :-) and do a group install to get a good starting
point.



Dunc
<snip sig stuff>


--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos




Hi

as i originally posted i did not install Mysql, i just did a default boot
install of the CentOS DVD iso.

seems 1 package of MySql was installed mysql-5.0.45-7.el5.

i followed the advice to yum mysql-server and now its up and running.
(yum got 1 dependence Perl-DBD)

thanks to all who replied.

Mark


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org