Old 10-20-2008, 09:33 AM
"William L. Maltby"

Default cannot start Mysql

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 08:14 +0100, Obantec Support wrote:
> [...]

Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.

> i followed the advice to yum mysql-server and now its up and running.
> (yum got 1 dependence Perl-DBD)

Great.

--
Bill

Old 10-20-2008, 10:21 AM
Ralph Angenendt

William L. Maltby wrote:
> Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
> from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
> the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.

No, why? Probably some package in default needs the client libraries of
MySQL, so those are installed.

Ralph

Old 10-20-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

William L. Maltby wrote on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:33:23 -0400:

> Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
> from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
> the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.

But mysql-server is not part of default setup, Bill, and shouldn't be.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-20-2008, 01:46 PM
"David G. Miller"

Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos@br-online.de> wrote:

William L. Maltby wrote:

> Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
> from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
> the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.

No, why? Probably some package in default needs the client libraries of
MySQL, so those are installed.

Ralph
I think there was a change in upstream as of about version 4 to *not*
install any actual database by default. Only the client gets
installed. The argument was that their support folks were spending an
inordinate amount of time helping people get their databases configured
and running.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce

Old 10-20-2008, 02:53 PM
"William L. Maltby"

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 14:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> William L. Maltby wrote on Mon, 20 Oct 2008 05:33:23 -0400:
>
> > Hmm. I wonder then if that is a bug in CentOS. Since the "default" shown
> > from the earlier posts indicates that several other pieces, including
> > the server daemon, should come along with the "mandatory" piece, mysql.
>
> But mysql-server is not part of default setup, Bill, and shouldn't be.

AHA! As stated, I don't use it. The OP claimed a standard install from
CD. Based on that and the yum groupinfo output, it *appeared* that if
mysql was installed (the mandatory piece if installing mysql), several
other pieces would be installed by default.

Not knowing exactly what the situation was, that caused me to ask the
question about a potential bug.

In all honesty, I only got involved with the thread because it appeared
that the available tools for the OP to use had not been used (see my
post about docs available and the output of yum groupinfo) and it being
a weekend there was smaller chance of a knowledgeable reply. I figured
that if I could show such tools to begin a resolution path, regardless
of my level of ignorance, that it might give the OP some clues and the
impetus to use such tools himself.

Thanks to you and Ralph for taking the time increasing my level of
knowledge!

--
Bill