Old 10-18-2008, 08:03 AM
"Semih Gokalp"

Default -bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file

Hi all,I have problem on CentOS 5.2

while everything is working great,suddenly i have this error when i login my server,

sudo su -
-bash: /bin/egrep: cannot execute binary file
-bash: /bin/egrep: cannot execute binary file

-bash: /bin/egrep: cannot execute binary file
-bash: /bin/hostname: cannot execute binary file
-bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file
-bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file
-bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file

-bash: /bin/grep: cannot execute binary file
[root@centos ~]#

and when i try use vi editor,i have same error like above

-bash: /bin/vi: cannot execute binary file

What is problem do you think ?

i searched this problem on google but did not found any reasonable answer.

Thanks all for all helps.

--
Iyi calismalar.Basarilar...
Semih Gokalp

Old 10-18-2008, 04:12 PM
Bill Campbell

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008, Semih Gokalp wrote:

> Hi all,I have problem on CentOS 5.2
> while everything is working great,suddenly i have this error when i
> login my server,

This could well mean that your system has been cracked. These
programs are frequently changed in common root exploits. You can
run ``rpm -V packagename' to check for package corruption:

The command ``rpm -qf /bin/egrep' will show the package name to
which /bin/egrep belongs. A lazy way to handle this is:

rpm -V `rpm -qf /bin/egrep`
rpm -V `rpm -qf /bin/hostname`

The most common reason these programs don't run after a root
exploit is that the cracker has replaced them with binaries from
another distribution and the binaries are looking for shared
libraries that are not on the cracked system.

Bill
Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
Fax: (206) 232-9186

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use."
-- Galileo Galilei

Old 10-18-2008, 07:40 PM
MHR

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Semih Gokalp <semihgokalp@gmail.com> wrote:

> sudo su -

What are you expecting this command to do? If you want to 'sudo' a
command, do that. If you want to 'su,' do that. But don't mix the
two together.

mhr

Old 10-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Stephen Harris

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:40:26PM -0700, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 1:03 AM, Semih Gokalp <semihgokalp@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > sudo su -
>
> What are you expecting this command to do? If you want to 'sudo' a
> command, do that. If you want to 'su,' do that. But don't mix the
> two together.

I'm not the OP, but "sudo su -" is a very useful command; it gives the user
full root access to a root shell with root's standard profile, but doesn't
require them to know the root password.

It's not good _security_ practice (not in a long way) but it can be a useful
command.

--

rgds
Stephen