Old 10-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Ian Levesque

Default Installer kernel config

Hello,

I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included with
the CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer. I need to verify hardware
compatibility (especially ethernet and SATA) prior to making a
purchase decision, and reckon that seeing what's included with the
installer would be the most direct way.

Thanks for any leads,

Ian

Old 10-17-2008, 09:03 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Ian Levesque <ian@crystal.harvard.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included with the
> CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer. I need to verify hardware compatibility
> (especially ethernet and SATA) prior to making a purchase decision, and
> reckon that seeing what's included with the installer would be the most
> direct way.
>
> Thanks for any leads,

/boot/config-<version> if you have a 5.2 system already running. If
not you could probably just ask here what driver/module you're looking
for.

George Orwell

Old 10-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Ian Levesque

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 4:32 PM, Ian Levesque
I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included
with the

CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer. I need to verify hardware compatibility
(especially ethernet and SATA) prior to making a purchase decision,
and
reckon that seeing what's included with the installer would be the
most

direct way.

Thanks for any leads,

/boot/config-<version> if you have a 5.2 system already running. If
not you could probably just ask here what driver/module you're looking
for.

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I'm curious what the kernel included on the
install disc supports, more than anything. We have a workstation
configuration that we recommend to labs around the university. In the
past few months we've migrated a large number of existing
installations from Fedora to CentOS. Unfortunately, our current
workstation setup doesn't have ethernet support in the 5.2 install
kernel, which became a problem when we were creating a guide for labs
to follow when installing CentOS. So, we need to ensure that the next
recommended system will be supported by the install kernel as well as
the post-install kernel (which I understand I can review in /boot/
config-<version>).

Cheers,
Ian

Old 10-17-2008, 09:13 PM
Ned Slider

Jim Perrin wrote:

I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included with the
CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer. I need to verify hardware compatibility
(especially ethernet and SATA) prior to making a purchase decision, and
reckon that seeing what's included with the installer would be the most
direct way.

Thanks for any leads,

/boot/config-<version> if you have a 5.2 system already running. If
not you could probably just ask here what driver/module you're looking
for.

There is a page on the Wiki with the CentOS 4 default config, but
nothing for C5:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/HardwareList/centos4-config

Perhaps this page could be updated?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:22 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 16:32, Ian Levesque <ian@crystal.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included with the
> CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer.

>From what I see, the kernel in /isolinux/vmlinuz on the CentOS 5.2
x86_64 installer CD (which I'm pretty certain is the one booted when
you install) is the same as the one inside the
kernel-2.6.18-92.el5.x86_64.rpm package, at least I md5'd both of them
and they match. Therefore, I believe if you check the "config" file in
that RPM, it should have the info you are looking for.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 10-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Ian Levesque

On Oct 17, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 16:32, Ian Levesque
<ian@crystal.harvard.edu> wrote:
I'm curious where I can find the config for the kernel included
with the

CentOS 5.2 x86_64 installer.

From what I see, the kernel in /isolinux/vmlinuz on the CentOS 5.2

x86_64 installer CD (which I'm pretty certain is the one booted when
you install) is the same as the one inside the
kernel-2.6.18-92.el5.x86_64.rpm package, at least I md5'd both of them
and they match. Therefore, I believe if you check the "config" file in
that RPM, it should have the info you are looking for.

Thanks, Filipe - it looks like you're right.

Cheers,
Ian

Old 10-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Karanbir Singh

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

From what I see, the kernel in /isolinux/vmlinuz on the CentOS 5.2

x86_64 installer CD (which I'm pretty certain is the one booted when
you install) is the same as the one inside the
kernel-2.6.18-92.el5.x86_64.rpm package, at least I md5'd both of them
and they match.

That does not imply the module list for functionality supported as
config=m will be the same on both sides...