FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-12-2007, 07:03 AM
Fridtjof Busse
 
Default Problem with driver disk on amd64

Hi,

I have a really strange problem with a driver disk
(http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b) on amd64.
I'm remotly booting the system via isolinux-files, so I unfortunatly
do not have access to relevant logs, all I can see the the primary
console/screen.
With i386, the driver disk works just fine and I can install via http.
But with amd64, the installer complains no driver for the hardware
could be found, which again keeps me from installing the system.
Due to the lack of RTL8111 hardware, I cannot debug this locally
either.
Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?

Thanks.
--
Fridtjof Busse
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Fabian Arrotin
 
Default Problem with driver disk on amd64

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 09:03 +0100, Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a really strange problem with a driver disk
> (http://wiki.centos.org/HardwareList/RealTekRTL8111b) on amd64.
> I'm remotly booting the system via isolinux-files, so I unfortunatly
> do not have access to relevant logs, all I can see the the primary
> console/screen.
> With i386, the driver disk works just fine and I can install via http.
> But with amd64, the installer complains no driver for the hardware
> could be found, which again keeps me from installing the system.
> Due to the lack of RTL8111 hardware, I cannot debug this locally
> either.
> Does anybody have an idea what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks.

I've just installed today a server from Hetzner.de (on a AMD Athlon x2
x86_64) using this card in blind mode and it's working with the supplied
driver disk on the wiki ...
How can you tell that 'installer complains no driver for the hardware
could be found' if you don't have console access ?
just to be sure : what's the result of lspci -v
mine :
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
Subsystem: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. Unknown device
368c
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 209
I/O ports at d800 [size=256]
Memory at feaff000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
[virtual] Expansion ROM at 80000000 [disabled] [size=128K]
Capabilities: [40] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [48] Vital Product Data
Capabilities: [50] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit+
Queue=0/1 Enable-
Capabilities: [60] Express Endpoint IRQ 0
Capabilities: [84] Vendor Specific Information


--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
Solution ?
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Fridtjof Busse
 
Default Problem with driver disk on amd64

* Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>:
> I've just installed today a server from Hetzner.de (on a AMD Athlon x2
> x86_64) using this card in blind mode and it's working with the
> supplied driver disk on the wiki ...

Funny, I'm trying to do the exact same thing (DS 3000)
I'm using "r8168-2.6.18-53.el5-i686-x86_64.img"

> How can you tell that 'installer complains no driver for the hardware
> could be found' if you don't have console access ?

I got a LARA, a Java-based remote console. But I can't switch consoles
with that thing ('Alt' is caught on my local machine).
I'm booting with (shortened):
'linux dd method=http:// nousb noipv4 ip= netmask= gateway= dns='

If I do that with the 64bit vmlinuz/initrd.img, the system asks me where
the driver disk is located, loads it and complains that there's no
driver for the necessary hardware (ethernet).
With the 32bit version, everything works fine.

> just to be sure : what's the result of lspci -v
> mine :
> 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)

Looks exactly the same here in 2.6.18-53.el5. But unfortunatly,
"i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux"

--
Fridtjof Busse
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 AM
Fabian Arrotin
 
Default Problem with driver disk on amd64

On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 11:28 +0100, Fridtjof Busse wrote:
> * Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>:
> > I've just installed today a server from Hetzner.de (on a AMD Athlon x2
> > x86_64) using this card in blind mode and it's working with the
> > supplied driver disk on the wiki ...
>
> Funny, I'm trying to do the exact same thing (DS 3000)
> I'm using "r8168-2.6.18-53.el5-i686-x86_64.img"
>
> > How can you tell that 'installer complains no driver for the hardware
> > could be found' if you don't have console access ?
>
> I got a LARA, a Java-based remote console. But I can't switch consoles
> with that thing ('Alt' is caught on my local machine).
> I'm booting with (shortened):
> 'linux dd method=http:// nousb noipv4 ip= netmask= gateway= dns='
>
> If I do that with the 64bit vmlinuz/initrd.img, the system asks me where
> the driver disk is located, loads it and complains that there's no
> driver for the necessary hardware (ethernet).
> With the 32bit version, everything works fine.
>
> > just to be sure : what's the result of lspci -v
> > mine :
> > 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> > RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 01)
>
> Looks exactly the same here in 2.6.18-53.el5. But unfortunatly,
> "i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux"
>
I've installed it with success on a DS3000 too .. but i didn't use
LARA ...
I've mostly (i've changed some parameters though) used the informations
provided here :
http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/DS8000_/_CentOS_5_/_VNC_Install
I'll probably write something on the Wiki regarding such remote setup
but i can assure you that it's working for me ;-)

--
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin@arrfab.net>
Solution ?
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D4D465452snlbxq' | dc
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org