Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
"Dirk H. Schulz"

Default What keeps logging to my console?

Hi folks,

I have lots of messages like these appearing on my local CentOS 5.2
consoles:

Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: printk: 1 messages suppressed.
Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: pbond0: received packet with own address

as source address

I have disabled console logging in syslog.conf, and even if I shut down
syslog and kernel logger, the messages keep coming on the local consoles
(not on remote consoles).

So the question is: What process logs directly to the console bypassing
syslog/kernel log facilities? How can I find where to stop that?

Thanks for any hint or help.

Dirk

Old 10-17-2008, 02:45 PM
"Michael H. Warfield"

On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 12:13 +0200, Dirk H. Schulz wrote:
> Hi folks,

> I have lots of messages like these appearing on my local CentOS 5.2
> consoles:
> > Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: printk: 1 messages suppressed.
> > Oct 17 12:03:29 machine kernel: pbond0: received packet with own address
> as source address

> I have disabled console logging in syslog.conf, and even if I shut down
> syslog and kernel logger, the messages keep coming on the local consoles
> (not on remote consoles).

This has nothing to do with syslog. These are kernel printk messages.
They also go to syslog for logging in files but they go straight to the
kernel console as defined at bootup. Unless you have configured serial
consoles, the "console" for the kernel is the virtual terminals.

> So the question is: What process logs directly to the console bypassing
> syslog/kernel log facilities? How can I find where to stop that?

It's the kernel itself.

In a VC:

setterm --msg off

man setterm:

-msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only)
Enables or disables the sending of kernel printk()
messages to the console.

> Thanks for any hint or help.
>

> Dirk

Mike
--
Michael H. Warfield (AI4NB) | (770) 985-6132 | mhw@WittsEnd.com
//|=mhw=|// | (678) 463-0932 | http://www.wittsend.com/mhw/

Old 10-20-2008, 10:51 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Michael H. Warfield <> scribbled on Friday, October 17, 2008 4:45 PM:

> setterm --msg off
>
> man setterm:
>
> -msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only)
> Enables or disables the sending of kernel printk()
> messages to the console.

Is it possible to get rid of the iptables messages on the console as well,
with the above tweak, or is it specifically and only for the kernel?

/S

Old 10-20-2008, 02:22 PM
"Michael H. Warfield"

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 12:51 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Michael H. Warfield <> scribbled on Friday, October 17, 2008 4:45 PM:
>
> > setterm --msg off
> >
> > man setterm:
> >
> > -msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only)
> > Enables or disables the sending of kernel printk()
> > messages to the console.

> Is it possible to get rid of the iptables messages on the console as well,
> with the above tweak, or is it specifically and only for the kernel?

iptables is in the kernel.

AFAIK, it's either via syslog or via printk. If you've shut them both
down, it should be gone.

> /S

Mike

Old 10-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Paul Bijnens

Michael H. Warfield <> scribbled on Friday, October 17, 2008 4:45 PM:

man setterm:

-msg [on|off] (virtual consoles only)
Enables or disables the sending of kernel printk()
messages to the console.

Is it possible to get rid of the iptables messages on the console as well,
with the above tweak, or is it specifically and only for the kernel?

iptables is in the kernel.

AFAIK, it's either via syslog or via printk. If you've shut them both
down, it should be gone.

It was thinking it is logged through klogd, and can be suppressed by
starting klogd with the e.g. "-c 3" option.
Change the bootoption of klogd in: /etc/sysconfig/syslog :

KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x -c 3"

Well, at least AFAIK.

--
Paul Bijnens, xplanation Technology Services Tel +32 16 397.511
Technologielaan 21 bus 2, B-3001 Leuven, BELGIUM Fax +32 16 397.512

Old 10-20-2008, 03:00 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Michael H. Warfield <> scribbled on Monday, October 20, 2008 4:23 PM:

>>> setterm --msg off
>
>> Is it possible to get rid of the iptables messages on the console as well,
>> with the above tweak, or is it specifically and only for the kernel?
>
> iptables is in the kernel.
>
> AFAIK, it's either via syslog or via printk. If you've shut them both
> down, it should be gone.

>From what I found with google it didn't help if you turn it off with syslog, so
I'd assume the setterm-thingie should help.

Thx!

/S

Old 10-20-2008, 03:03 PM
"Sorin Srbu"

Paul Bijnens <> scribbled on Monday, October 20, 2008 4:36 PM:

> It was thinking it is logged through klogd, and can be suppressed by
> starting klogd with the e.g. "-c 3" option.
> Change the bootoption of klogd in: /etc/sysconfig/syslog :
>
> KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x -c 3"

Sounds vaguely like something my google-searches turned, but didn't quite
get/understand. I'll look into this again. Thx.

/S

Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 PM
Robert Spangler

On Monday 20 October 2008 11:03, Sorin Srbu wrote:

> Paul Bijnens <> scribbled on Monday, October 20, 2008 4:36 PM:
> > It was thinking it is logged through klogd, and can be suppressed by
> > starting klogd with the e.g. "-c 3" option.
> > Change the bootoption of klogd in: /etc/sysconfig/syslog :
> >
> > KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x -c 3"
>
> Sounds vaguely like something my google-searches turned, but didn't quite
> get/understand. I'll look into this again. Thx.

I have the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file;

# Stop logging to console
kernel.printk = 3 4 1 7

--

Regards
Robert

It is not just an adventure.
It is my job!!

Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 10-21-2008, 07:51 AM
"Sorin Srbu"

Robert Spangler <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:03 AM:

>> > It was thinking it is logged through klogd, and can be suppressed by
>> > starting klogd with the e.g. "-c 3" option.
>> > Change the bootoption of klogd in: /etc/sysconfig/syslog : >
>> > KLOGD_OPTIONS="-x -c 3"
>>
>> Sounds vaguely like something my google-searches turned, but didn't quite
>> get/understand. I'll look into this again. Thx.
>
> I have the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file;
>
> # Stop logging to console
> kernel.printk = 3 4 1 7

The setterm-command I tried yesterday didn't work. I'll give your setting a go.
Thx.

/S

Old 10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
"Michael H. Warfield"

On Tue, 2008-10-21 at 09:51 +0200, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> Robert Spangler <> scribbled on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 12:03 AM:

> >> Sounds vaguely like something my google-searches turned, but didn't quite
> >> get/understand. I'll look into this again. Thx.
> >
> > I have the following in my /etc/sysctl.conf file;
> >
> > # Stop logging to console
> > kernel.printk = 3 4 1 7

> The setterm-command I tried yesterday didn't work. I'll give your setting a go.

Make sure you ran it from a VC. It won't work remotely or in an X
windows terminal window.

> Thx.
>
> /S

Mike