Old 10-17-2008, 08:12 AM
tech

Default CGI configuration - second post

This is my second request for help with this problem. I have followed
the suggestions given the first time and made some progress but I still
have one final problem/question.

I have two CGI scripts that don't work. One is the standard Set-Cookie,
examples can be found all over the net, that sets a cookie and prints
"Your cookie name is set." The other is an automatic installation script
that comes from commerce-cgi.com and is for installing their CGI
shopping cart.

Both of these scripts are now located in /var/www/cgi-bin/ and the
folder and the scripts are set to apache:apache 755. BTW a setting of
root:root also fails exactly the same way.

If I run either of these scripts from a browser using www.domain.com it
fails. If I run it from a browser using
www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi or
www.domain.com/cgi-bin/techtest.cgi it works.

I have tried using a one line index.shtml file with that one line being
either <!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/install.cgi"--> or <!--#exec
cgi="/cgi-bin/install.cgi"--> and they both fail.

They do find and execute the script. The set cookie script prints the
"Your cookie name is set." message OK but the cookie is not sent to the
browser. The install script loads the first HTML page ok but does not
load the second page.

I had a friend-of-a-friend IT guy that I trust look at everything. He
hasn't found anything obvious. If he tries to run either of these
scripts from his computer, it works OK.

Can someone here help me understand why this is happening?

Mel

PS posts in other online places (as suggested here) did not get any replies.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:49 AM
Ralph Angenendt

tech wrote:
> If I run either of these scripts from a browser using www.domain.com it
> fails. If I run it from a browser using
> www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi or
> www.domain.com/cgi-bin/techtest.cgi it works.

Yes. Look at ScriptAlias in the config. And at the SELinux contexts in
that directory.

> I have tried using a one line index.shtml file with that one line being
> either <!--#include virtual="/cgi-bin/install.cgi"--> or <!--#exec
> cgi="/cgi-bin/install.cgi"--> and they both fail.

Yikes!

Calling www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi is the correct way, using SSI
together with cgi scripts calls for trouble.

And next time you ask something please include *error* messages.

Ralph

Old 10-17-2008, 02:34 PM
tech

> Ralph Angenendt wrote:

And next time you ask something please include *error* messages.

Ralph,

Sorry. I should have said that there is nothing in the error log. I have
entries in the access log but not the error log. I had one before but
I did a complete format and re-install and it is gone.

Let me also say that SELinux is OFF.

ScriptAlias is set and I believe it is correct.

I have gone over httpd.conf carefully and had someone else look at it.
The obvious things seem to be OK.

I did go back and verify one thing, when the IT guy was testing and it
worked for him, he was using www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi and not

just www.domain.com. That also failed for him.

Old 10-17-2008, 03:14 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Tech wrote on Fri, 17 Oct 2008 22:34:02 +0800:

> I did go back and verify one thing, when the IT guy was testing and it
> worked for him, he was using www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi and not
> just www.domain.com. That also failed for him.

Of course, it does. If you have a URL http://www.example.com/path/file.htm
and you want to have this file served when someone goes to
http://www.example.com/ you have to do something to make this happen.
There is no magic that will read your mind and then do that for you. So,
if I interpreted your problem correctly you want to go to the newsgroup
comp.infosystems.servers.www.unix and ask there the following:

I have a script http://www.domain.com/cgi-bin/install.cgi that works fine.
Now I would like to have it called when someone accesses
http://www.domain.com/. How can I achieve this with my apache version
x.y.z. on CentOS z.y.x?

That's just four lines, no lame excuses, no lengthy description of non-
related stuff. And in the right place. *This* list is *not* the right
place.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Mark Pryor

> This is my second request for help with this problem. I have
> followed
> the suggestions given the first time and made some progress
> but I still
> have one final problem/question.
>
> I have two CGI scripts that don't work.

Mel,

This is a feature, not a bug. Take a look at how httpd configures for cgi:

#grep cgi /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf

notice that a handler is set for /var/www/cgi-bin

--
Mark