Old 12-12-2007, 05:25 AM
Bill Campbell

Default vsifax on Centos 5.1

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-12-12 at 00:56 +0100, Vincent Knecht wrote:
>> > All....
>> >
>> > I am trying to install vsifax on a 64 bit Centos 5.1 system. The Esker
>> > staff have been helpful but no cigar.
>> >
>> > At first they thought the problem might be related to a 64 bit machine
>> > so I tried to install vsifax on a 32 bit Centos 5.1 machine and received
>> > the same error.
>> >
>> > One of their installation scripts is trying to execute a binary called
>> > eula which fails.
>> >
>> > ./eula: cannot execute binary file
>>
>> maybe just retry after invoking that command ?
>> chmod +x eula
>>

>Thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have posted the deails.
>I was actually hoping that the protections was the issue but looks to me
>that it is not

Have you looked at HylaFax, an open source fax system for *nix
systems that has been around for many years (it started life as
flexfax, but had to change the name since somebody else had it).
We have been using HylaFax on various Linux systems for well over
a decade with excellent results (and we hosted their mailing list
for several years before they registered hylafax.org).

http://www.hylafax.org/

Another commercial package for *nix systems is Faximum. This too
has been around since the early '90s.

Bill

The pinnacle of open systems is: when moving from vendor to vendor, the
design flaws stay the same.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM
"Gregory P. Ennis"

On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:25 -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:

> >> maybe just retry after invoking that command ?
> >> chmod +x eula
> >>

> >Thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have posted the deails.
> >I was actually hoping that the protections was the issue but looks to me
> >that it is not
>
> Have you looked at HylaFax, an open source fax system for *nix
> systems that has been around for many years (it started life as
> flexfax, but had to change the name since somebody else had it).
> We have been using HylaFax on various Linux systems for well over
> a decade with excellent results (and we hosted their mailing list
> for several years before they registered hylafax.org).
>
> http://www.hylafax.org/
>
> Another commercial package for *nix systems is Faximum. This too
> has been around since the early '90s.
>
> Bill
> --
> INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
> FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
>
> The pinnacle of open systems is: when moving from vendor to vendor, the
> design flaws stay the same.

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to suggest hylafax. We need to be able to
convert *.pcl files to tiff files either at the time of faxing or the
fax module needs to do this for us. Does hylafax have the capability to
convert pcl to tif? vsifax has done what we needed, but to my surprise
the more I talk with them the more I get the impression they are not
actively wanting to support it for Unix/Linux systems.

I'll take a look at both hylafax and faximum.... thanks for the leads

Greg

Old 12-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Frank Cox

http://www.imagemagick.org/script/index.php

Old 12-12-2007, 07:58 PM
Bill Campbell

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>On Tue, 2007-12-11 at 22:25 -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:

>> >Thanks for the suggestion. I probably should have posted the deails.
>> >I was actually hoping that the protections was the issue but looks to me
>> >that it is not
>>
>> Have you looked at HylaFax, an open source fax system for *nix
>> systems that has been around for many years (it started life as
>> flexfax, but had to change the name since somebody else had it).
>> We have been using HylaFax on various Linux systems for well over
>> a decade with excellent results (and we hosted their mailing list
>> for several years before they registered hylafax.org).
>>
>> http://www.hylafax.org/
>>
>> Another commercial package for *nix systems is Faximum. This too
>> has been around since the early '90s.
>
>Bill,
>
>Thanks for taking the time to suggest hylafax. We need to be able to
>convert *.pcl files to tiff files either at the time of faxing or the
>fax module needs to do this for us. Does hylafax have the capability to
>convert pcl to tif? vsifax has done what we needed, but to my surprise
>the more I talk with them the more I get the impression they are not
>actively wanting to support it for Unix/Linux systems.

Personally I haven't had any need for PCL->FAX translation, but somebody
else suggested ImageMagick which has lots of conversion options as does
ghostscript.

I often send faxes from HylaFAX with PDF documents. It handles PostScript,
plain-text, and a variety of image formats as well.

Bill

Those who cast the vote decide nothing.
Those who count the vote decide everything. (Joseph Stalin)