Old 10-16-2008, 05:08 PM
"James B. Byrne"

Default OT: new list proposal

On: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:01:54 +0100, "Marcelo M. Garcia"
<marcelo.maia.garcia@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> One thing that we are often blamed for is trying to stifle conversations
>> and to discourage people from commenting / contributing / encouraging
>> conversations. And that cant be further from the truth, really. We are
>> all pro-community ( and when I say we, I mean everyone - including the
>> contributors, developers, admins, users, abusers and hey upstream too ).
>>
>> However, one thing that does get in the way, often, and something that
>> we all feel creates a higher 'noise' ratio is conversations on this list
>> about semi-related stuff, but not something that directly contributes to
>> the general users of CentOS. Conversations that specifically address
>> four areas:
>>
>> - technologies
>> - best practices
>> - deployment strategies and tools
>> - management strategies and tools
>>
>> And to better cater to these conversations, as well as further encourage
>> such content, we'd like to propose creating a 'centos-tech' list.
>>
>> Over a period of time, we would like to see the CentOS list become a
>> more user help and distro specific list, with generic conversations
>> moving to the centos-tech list.
>>
> Hi
>
> I understand the eagerness to lower the "noise" ratio, but I think
> creating another list is not the solution, it will simply create an
> extra work for the people in the list "centos" in the sense that you
> will have to keep reminding people to use the "tech" list, or saying to
> newcomers that should sign for the "tech" list.
>
> Noise is the side effect of the success of the project CentOS. As the
> project grows, more people will be joining the list, and there will be
> more noise.
>
> In my opinion there aren't much "off-topic"/noise in this list.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcelo

I too, see little problem with the current signal to noise ratio.
Compared to some tech lists I subscribe too this one is pretty much always
on the topic of some aspect of using CentOS effective and efficiently.

If some people really have problems with the degree of latitude extended
to subjects here then perhaps an appropriate solution is to set up a list
called centos-strict and allow those that have strong feelings on the
matter of appropriateness, whatever that turns out to mean, to subscribe
there.

Once a day a digest of the centos-strict list could be posted to this
list, in a fashion similar to that done for CentOS announcements. So that
topics of interest discussed there would still reach a wider audience.

The existing centos list is pretty much established as the first port of
call for a new contributor. It seems to me counter-productive to create a
new list to serve that purpose and then force new people to resubscribe to
a different list, doubtless after receiving abuse from self-appointed
moral managers for posting the wrong subjects here.

As a case in point, what does the creation of new mailing lists have to do
with CentOS, exactly? What is deemed appropriate and on topic is really
more a matter of taste than anything else.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Robert

James B. Byrne wrote:

<snip>

I too, see little problem with the current signal to noise ratio.
Compared to some tech lists I subscribe too this one is pretty much always

on the topic of some aspect of using CentOS effective and efficiently.

<snip>

I agree. There are times when stuff that obviously has no place on this
list appears but in almost every case it is gone within a short time if
allowed to die a natural death. It seems to me that the most
irritating, least useful content is usually threads like this one,
started in an effort to overhaul something that only needs a tuneup.

Perhaps a periodic broadcast of succinctly stated policies on acceptable
topics, prior research, lucidity of questions, etc., ending with a
suggestion that the OT stuff be silently ignored *on-list* would be
enough to restore this list to showcase it once was.