Old 10-16-2008, 07:05 AM
Christopher Chan

Default Missing something about sendmail

Paul R. Ganci wrote:

Hi All,

I have a strange problem that I don't understand. I have an access file
which has the following line:

Did you run makemap? Does the db file contain the same stuff as the text
file?

Christopher

Old 10-16-2008, 07:56 AM
"Paul R. Ganci"

Christopher Chan wrote:
I have a strange problem that I don't understand. I have an access
file which has the following line:
Did you run makemap? Does the db file contain the same stuff as the
text file?

Yes. The output of

makemap -u hash access.db >access_dump

shows

168.144.250.215 OK # xsmtp02.mail2web.com

It is there.

After a lot of research I realized I am using two features that muck
with the check_relay ruleset. The DCC hackmc script to make DCC
understand about whitelisting from the access database and
FEATURE(`require_rdns2',`forgedignore')dnl which requires the relay to
have a rDNS. This changes the usual check_relay code albeit I haven't
figured out how it can generate a 553 error code along with an OK.

--
Paul (ganci@nurdog.com)

Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 AM
Kai Schaetzl

Paul R. Ganci wrote on Wed, 15 Oct 2008 23:23:33 -0600:

> OK # xsmtp02.mail2web.com

You cannot put comments in the file like this, it's interpreted as the
error message. You can use only comments that start the line.

> Is this because I have commented out
>
> dnl FEATURE(delay_checks)dnl
>
> in my sendmail.mc?

No, delay_checks is necessary for instance if you want to use other access
mechanisms like SMTP AUTH.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-16-2008, 11:16 AM
"Paul R. Ganci"

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

OK # xsmtp02.mail2web.com

You cannot put comments in the file like this, it's interpreted as the
error message. You can use only comments that start the line
Crap ... after all the experience I had with sendmail I never realized
that. I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks that seems to
have fixed the problem.

--
Paul (ganci@nurdog.com)

Old 10-16-2008, 07:35 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-16-2008 12:56 AM Paul R. Ganci spake the following:
> Christopher Chan wrote:
>>> I have a strange problem that I don't understand. I have an access
>>> file which has the following line:
>> Did you run makemap? Does the db file contain the same stuff as the
>> text file?
> Yes. The output of
>
> makemap -u hash access.db >access_dump
>
> shows
>
> 168.144.250.215 OK # xsmtp02.mail2web.com
>
> It is there.
>
> After a lot of research I realized I am using two features that muck
> with the check_relay ruleset. The DCC hackmc script to make DCC
> understand about whitelisting from the access database and
> FEATURE(`require_rdns2',`forgedignore')dnl which requires the relay to
> have a rDNS. This changes the usual check_relay code albeit I haven't
> figured out how it can generate a 553 error code along with an OK.

It is probably ignoring your # as a comment delimiter. So it is picking up #
xsmtp02.mail2web.com as part of the error text.
Try to have the comment on a line by itself, maybe directly above the ip address.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-17-2008, 12:02 AM
"Paul R. Ganci"

Scott Silva wrote:

It is probably ignoring your # as a comment delimiter. So it is picking up #
xsmtp02.mail2web.com as part of the error text
Yes this was exactly the problem. I had completely forgotten about the
comment restriction until Kai Schaetzl pointed it out to me earlier in
the morning. Little did I realize the harm I was causing ... how ironic
a "whitelist" actually became a "blacklist". In any event the problem is
fixed now. Many thanks.

--
Paul (ganci@nurdog.com)