Old 10-16-2008, 02:33 AM
Clint Dilks

Default Centos 5 and Driver Disks

Hi,

I am trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PowerEdge R905, and a
problem that you run into is that the DVD Drive on the system is not
recognized by the kernel.
I have done some searching on the web and found
http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_13121.shtm and obtained the driver
disk that it mentions.
Having followed the instructions I can see and select the driver disk
image but the install thinks there are no appropriate drivers in the image.

Can someone please confirm or deny that I should be able to use a Red
Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver with CentOS 5 without issue ?

It isn't a big deal as I will try a Network based install or use a USB
DVD drive but I just want to confirm if using a RHEL 5 Driver Disk
should work

Thanks, and have a nice day

Old 10-16-2008, 08:34 AM
Karanbir Singh

Clint Dilks wrote:
It isn't a big deal as I will try a Network based install or use a USB
DVD drive but I just want to confirm if using a RHEL 5 Driver Disk
should work

It should yes.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-15-2008 7:33 PM Clint Dilks spake the following:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install CentOS 5.2 on a Dell PowerEdge R905, and a
> problem that you run into is that the DVD Drive on the system is not
> recognized by the kernel.
> I have done some searching on the web and found
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_13121.shtm and obtained the driver
> disk that it mentions. Having followed the instructions I can see and
> select the driver disk image but the install thinks there are no
> appropriate drivers in the image.
>
> Can someone please confirm or deny that I should be able to use a Red
> Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Driver with CentOS 5 without issue ?
>
> It isn't a big deal as I will try a Network based install or use a USB
> DVD drive but I just want to confirm if using a RHEL 5 Driver Disk
> should work
>
> Thanks, and have a nice day
It should work in theory. But if the driver disk is for RedHat 5u1, it
probably won't work with CentOS 5.2, as the install media will have a
different kernel. The driver disk only patches the running installer kernel AFAIR.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
Karanbir Singh

Scott Silva wrote:

It should work in theory. But if the driver disk is for RedHat 5u1, it
probably won't work with CentOS 5.2, as the install media will have a
different kernel. The driver disk only patches the running installer kernel AFAIR.

I get a 404 on the url in the OP's post, but if someone has a url to the driver
disk in question, I can try and look at what the issue might be

Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-16-2008 2:22 PM Karanbir Singh spake the following:
> Scott Silva wrote:
>> It should work in theory. But if the driver disk is for RedHat 5u1, it
>> probably won't work with CentOS 5.2, as the install media will have a
>> different kernel. The driver disk only patches the running installer
>> kernel AFAIR.
>
> I get a 404 on the url in the OP's post, but if someone has a url to the
> driver disk in question, I can try and look at what the issue might be

I don't know, but a visit to the Dell support page for the PowerEdge R905
doesn't yield a driver disk that I can find, and I don't see anything on
linux.dell.com either.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Clint Dilks

I get a 404 on the url in the OP's post, but if someone has a url to
the driver disk in question, I can try and look at what the issue
might be

Hi

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_13121.shtm

Or go to http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~clintd/R905/ just to get the
files I obtained from Dell.

On closer reading of the instructions I see that the say to use a USB
CD/ DVD drive anyway so I am confused as to what the point of the driver
disk really is.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Scott Silva

on 10-16-2008 5:15 PM Clint Dilks spake the following:

>> I get a 404 on the url in the OP's post, but if someone has a url to
>> the driver disk in question, I can try and look at what the issue
>> might be
>>

> Hi
>
> http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_103_13121.shtm
>
> Or go to http://www.scms.waikato.ac.nz/~clintd/R905/ just to get the
> files I obtained from Dell.
>
> On closer reading of the instructions I see that the say to use a USB
> CD/ DVD drive anyway so I am confused as to what the point of the driver
> disk really is.
That part is probably a typo. It says to use a FDD or USB removable storage
for the driver disk image. Either expand it to a floppy, which the server
probably doesn't have, or put it unexpanded onto a USB flash drive.
Then boot from the built in optical drive and use the linux dd command.

Or you can use
linux
dd=http://130.217.247.31/~clintd/R905/rhel5-sata_svw-2.10.6-manykernels-dd.img
(watch the wrap, above should be on one line) to pull it off your webserver if
you give the setup a proper gateway address so it can reach outside.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM
Clint Dilks

That part is probably a typo. It says to use a FDD or USB removable storage
for the driver disk image. Either expand it to a floppy, which the server
probably doesn't have, or put it unexpanded onto a USB flash drive.
Then boot from the built in optical drive and use the linux dd command.

Or you can use
linux
dd=http://130.217.247.31/~clintd/R905/rhel5-sata_svw-2.10.6-manykernels-dd.img
(watch the wrap, above should be on one line) to pull it off your webserver if
you give the setup a proper gateway address so it can reach outside.

Hi, tried this and it appears to work, but the DVD is still unusable.
So its unfortunate but not a show stopper . Thanks for the assistance.