Old 10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
sbeam

Default firefox is incredibly unstable

does anyone else have major probs with Firefox as installed on CentOS5?

ever since the RPM for FF3 came out it has been crashing daily. Usually when I
use Save As... or Browse... or anything else that brings up the Gnome file
picker. After the crash I re-start then the file picker works for a while.

Sometimes it just takes scrolling or click+drag an image or some other random
action. BANG your'e dead. Very frustrating.

Now today it is just crashing randomly, I am not even touching it. Maybe one
of my plugins, I know. I guess I will run it with debugger/strace. but does
anyone else see this?

$ rpm -qa firefox
firefox-3.0.2-3.el5.centos
$ cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
$ rpm -qa kdebase
kdebase-3.5.4-18.el5.centos

Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 PM
"Stephen John Smoogen"

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:55 AM, sbeam <sbeam@onsetcorps.net> wrote:
> does anyone else have major probs with Firefox as installed on CentOS5?
>
> ever since the RPM for FF3 came out it has been crashing daily. Usually when I
> use Save As... or Browse... or anything else that brings up the Gnome file
> picker. After the crash I re-start then the file picker works for a while.

Not for me. I have had 1 crash in 2 weeks. I would look at doing
dealing with the usual suspects:

1) Remove any extra plugins you added.
2) mv .mozilla .mozilla-bad-$(date -Im) and start over.

If the problem does not go away then it is some other item that is
causing the issue.

> Sometimes it just takes scrolling or click+drag an image or some other random
> action. BANG your'e dead. Very frustrating.
>
> Now today it is just crashing randomly, I am not even touching it. Maybe one
> of my plugins, I know. I guess I will run it with debugger/strace. but does
> anyone else see this?
>
> $ rpm -qa firefox
> firefox-3.0.2-3.el5.centos
> $ cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> $ rpm -qa kdebase
> kdebase-3.5.4-18.el5.centos

Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux

Old 10-15-2008, 05:39 PM
sbeam

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 13:27, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > ever since the RPM for FF3 came out it has been crashing daily. Usually
> > when I use Save As... or Browse... or anything else that brings up the
> > Gnome file picker. After the crash I re-start then the file picker works
> > for a while.

should have mentioned that neither crashreporter nor talkback were coming up.
Once in a while I get Gnome "Bug-Buddy" which fails to do anything useful.
Seems like someone at RH tinkered with mozilla's crash handling....

> Not for me. I have had 1 crash in 2 weeks. I would look at doing
> dealing with the usual suspects:
>
> 1) Remove any extra plugins you added.
> 2) mv .mozilla .mozilla-bad-$(date -Im) and start over.
>
> If the problem does not go away then it is some other item that is
> causing the issue.

Well I need my plugins to get work done so I installed the binary from
mozilla.org in /opt/ and symlinked to that, seems to be better so far. This
is what I used to do to get the latest version anyway, so if it works will
just stay this way. If not I'll get on bugzilla and pursue that.

thanks

Sam