Old 10-15-2008, 02:42 PM
"Bo Lynch"

Default script question

On Wed, October 15, 2008 10:48 am, Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create a script that takes an entire file,
> drops the first 19 characters from each line and creates a new file.
>
> I am missing something easy but I am not seeing it.
>
> Jerry
>
> ---
> I tried the script below but did not work.
>
> rm output.txt
> cat test.txt |
> while read LINE
> do
> newline=`echo $LINE | cut -f 19-`
> echo $newline >> output.txt
> done
>
> test.txt is below
> 10-Oct-08 08:14 am 10
> 10-Oct-08 08:20 am 20
> 10-Oct-08 08:24 am 30
> 10-Oct-08 08:29 am 40
> 10-Oct-08 08:34 am 50
> 10-Oct-08 08:39 am 60
> 10-Oct-08 08:44 am 80
> 10-Oct-08 08:49 am 10
> 10-Oct-08 08:54 am 10
> 10-Oct-08 08:56 am 10

Instead of using cut -f use cut -c19-

Old 10-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Tim Nelson

Hello Jerry-

Simply change the line:

newline=`echo $LINE | cut -f 19-`

to this:

newline=`echo $LINE | cut -c 19-`

You want to cut based on 'c'haracters, not 'f'ields. :-)

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.
(218)727-4332 x105

Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Pintér Tibor

I am trying to create a script that takes an entire file,
drops the first 19 characters from each line and creates a new file.

I am missing something easy but I am not seeing it.

Jerry

---
I tried the script below but did not work.

rm output.txt
cat test.txt |
while read LINE
do
newline=`echo $LINE | cut -f 19-`
echo $newline >> output.txt
done
test.txt is below 10-Oct-08 08:14 am 10

why not simply

cut -b10- foo > bar

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 10:48, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create a script that takes an entire file,
> drops the first 19 characters from each line and creates a new file.
> newline=`echo $LINE | cut -f 19-`

What you want is "cut -c 19-" (-c as in characters) and not "cut -f
19-" (-f as in fields).

> echo $newline >> output.txt

This will also remove the spacing. You should at least use echo
"$newline" >>output.txt, but in any case it's silly as you can just:

cut -c 19- <test.txt >output.txt

HTH,
Filipe

Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Les Mikesell

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to create a script that takes an entire file,
drops the first 19 characters from each line and creates a new file.
newline=`echo $LINE | cut -f 19-`

What you want is "cut -c 19-" (-c as in characters) and not "cut -f
19-" (-f as in fields).

echo $newline >> output.txt

This will also remove the spacing. You should at least use echo
"$newline" >>output.txt, but in any case it's silly as you can just:

cut -c 19- <test.txt >output.txt

Or sed -e 's/^...................//' <text.txt >output.txt
which might be a nicer starting point if you want to make other changes
although it won't change a line with less than 19 characters. If you'd
want that, 's/^.{1,19}//' should do it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 10-15-2008, 04:04 PM
"nate"

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to create a script that takes an entire file,
> drops the first 19 characters from each line and creates a new file.
[..]
> test.txt is below
> 10-Oct-08 08:14 am 10

If this is the format of your data you could use awk to do the same
thing

cat filename | awk '{print $4}'

nate

Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Jerry Geis

Hi all,

in a script if I have:
VERSION="3.2.0"

I can do:
echo jj-$VERSION-jj
and get jj-3.2.0-jj

however if I do:
echo jj_$VERSION_jj
I get jj_

How do I get the $VERSION to work with the underscores like the dashes do.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 06-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Kwan Lowe