Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default Problems with firstboot in CentOS 5

I'm trying to customize the firstboot process in CentOS 5 and have
come across a few issues that are driving me nuts. I'm sure they are
all upstream issues, but I don't have a RHEL 5 system to verify
them. I had these customizations working in CentOS 4, but things
that used to work then don't work now.

The main problem is that you can't validate user input. This problem
can be easily seen in the firstboot "Create User" module. If you are
in this screen, deliberately enter mismatched passwords. You will
get a warning that the passwords do not match, but when you click OK
to dismiss the warning you are taken to the next screen. In CentOS
4, firstboot would stay at the current screen until all user input
had been validated. If you look at the underlying Python code, when
you returned "None" from the apply method it would not exit the
module in CentOS 4, but it does in CentOS 5.

I also can't get the firstboot Display module to load. It ships with
"skipme = True", but setting it to false or removing that line
altogether does not show the module. It appears to me that there a
lots of issues with firstboot in CentOS 5. Actually, in my
environment (~40 desktops), CentOS 5 has been far less stable than
CentOS 4 (mostly Gnome issues with Terminal windows crashing and
window "flickering"). I've reported some of these issues before on
this list. My servers seem to be rock stable, though.

Anyway, for now I will have to live with these issues. Can I report
these issues in the Red Hat bugzilla database or do I need to be a
RHN subscriber to report bugs against RHEL5? I suspect (but have not
verified) that these issues have been addressed in Fedora already.

Alfred

Old 10-16-2008, 10:11 PM
Alfred von Campe

Yesterday I wrote:

[...]

Has anyone seen these issues? Is anybody using firstboot (or care
about it)? If there is there a better forum where I can go for
firstboot questions, please let me know. Ideally, I would like the
upstream provider to acknowledge this issue and include a fix in the
next update release, but how can I best make that happen?

Alfred

Old 10-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Karanbir Singh

Alfred von Campe wrote:
Has anyone seen these issues? Is anybody using firstboot (or care about
it)? If there is there a better forum where I can go for firstboot
questions, please let me know. Ideally, I would like the upstream
provider to acknowledge this issue and include a fix in the next update
release, but how can I best make that happen?

The easy way to do this would be to open an issue report at
bugs.centos.org/ and someone can work with you to verify the bug exists.
if it does then we can push it upstream. They are quite accepting of
issues that come via some sort of a verification process ( they even
have a direct link to the centos issue tracker! )

Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 AM
Alfred von Campe

The easy way to do this would be to open an issue report at
bugs.centos.org/ and someone can work with you to verify the bug
exists.

Done: http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=3200

Thanks,
Alfred