-   -   Extract text from Microsoft PowerPoint files (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/176510-extract-text-microsoft-powerpoint-files.html)

"Yanagisawa, Koji" 10-15-2008 02:13 AM

Extract text from Microsoft PowerPoint files

Hello CentOS people,

I'm wondering if there are command tools like antiword and docx2txt for
Microsoft PowerPoint files (.ppt and .pptx). The idea is to extract
text from PowerPoint files. Sorry this isn't exactly about CentOS, but
I'd really like it if Yum has something. I tried xlhtml, but it hasn't
been updated in a while and isn't exactly wanting to work on CentOS 5.

Thank you,

fred smith 10-15-2008 02:53 AM

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:13:55PM -0400, Yanagisawa, Koji wrote:
> Hello CentOS people,
>
> I'm wondering if there are command tools like antiword and docx2txt for
> Microsoft PowerPoint files (.ppt and .pptx). The idea is to extract
> text from PowerPoint files. Sorry this isn't exactly about CentOS, but
> I'd really like it if Yum has something. I tried xlhtml, but it hasn't
> been updated in a while and isn't exactly wanting to work on CentOS 5.

Note QUITE what you're asking for, but OOo (OpenOffice.Org) reads
and presents powerpoint files quite nicely...

The Lord detests the way of the wicked

"nate" 10-15-2008 03:43 AM

Yanagisawa, Koji wrote:
> Hello CentOS people,
>
> I'm wondering if there are command tools like antiword and docx2txt for
> Microsoft PowerPoint files (.ppt and .pptx). The idea is to extract
> text from PowerPoint files. Sorry this isn't exactly about CentOS, but
> I'd really like it if Yum has something. I tried xlhtml, but it hasn't
> been updated in a while and isn't exactly wanting to work on CentOS 5.

man strings

I used to use it to read word docs a while back, works for simple
docs.

nate

"John" 10-15-2008 10:51 AM

Extract text from Microsoft PowerPoint files

I'm wondering if there are command tools like antiword and docx2txt for
Microsoft PowerPoint files (.ppt and .pptx). The idea is to extract
text from PowerPoint files. Sorry this isn't exactly about CentOS, but
I'd really like it if Yum has something. I tried xlhtml, but it hasn't
been updated in a while and isn't exactly wanting to work on CentOS 5.

JohnStanley Writes:

If you pretty slick at Python I know for fact there is a python rtf (ritch
text format) library to extract rtf. So if you look hard enough there is
probally one on the net that someone has wrote. Google even has a RTF
Library for Python. As a side note .Net offers Office Tools to do that very
thing you want in .Net