FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-14-2008, 09:59 PM
"Sergio Belkin"
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

Hi, I've read on LPI Linux Certification (Ed O'Reilly) in a nutshell
the following thing:

"parted, unfortunately, has been known to corrupt partition tables and
ruin filesystem."

What do you think about it?

Greets!

--
--
Open Kairos http://www.openkairos.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

Sergio Belkin wrote:

Hi, I've read on LPI Linux Certification (Ed O'Reilly) in a nutshell
the following thing:

"parted, unfortunately, has been known to corrupt partition tables and
ruin filesystem."



Sounds like a question for the parted list, not here. Plenty of stuff in
CentOS uses parted, and there is nothing you can do about it.


And Just to remind everyone that no, this is still not a general
conversation about stuff list.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:06 AM
David Mackintosh
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:13:18PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> And Just to remind everyone that no, this is still not a general
> conversation about stuff list.

How off-topic is it to ask precisely what is on-topic for this list
if questions and discussions of the included components belong on the
support mechanisms for those individual parts, and the rest (ie anaconda
and friends) probably belongs in the upstream vendor's forums?

What does that leave? The color of the logo?

(I like the blue.)

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |
dave@xdroop.com | http://www.xdroop.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 05:12 AM
John Newbigin
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

Until CentOS 4.7, parted would create DOS partitions > 2Tb.

DOS partitions can not be > 2Tb. This could "...corrupt partition tables
and ruin filesystem".


The latest version from CentOS 4.7 fixes this (and other) bugs.

John.

Sergio Belkin wrote:

Hi, I've read on LPI Linux Certification (Ed O'Reilly) in a nutshell
the following thing:

"parted, unfortunately, has been known to corrupt partition tables and
ruin filesystem."

What do you think about it?

Greets!




--
John Newbigin
ITS Senior Analyst / Programmer
Faculty of Information and Communication Technologies
Swinburne University of Technology
Melbourne, Australia
http://www.ict.swin.edu.au/staff/jnewbigin
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Karanbir Singh
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

David Mackintosh wrote:

How off-topic is it to ask precisely what is on-topic for this list
if questions and discussions of the included components belong on the
support mechanisms for those individual parts, and the rest (ie anaconda
and friends) probably belongs in the upstream vendor's forums?


A bit of common sense comes in handy. Talking about something that the
developers of a component need to weight in on is definitely best suited
to the upstream lists for the component. If you hit specific issues with
the implementation on CentOS, thats different.


Random drive by surveys, and request for comments on a blog posts etc
are definitely a waste of time for *this* list.


--
Karanbir Singh : http://www.karan.org/ : 2522219@icq
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 11:57 AM
"Sergio Belkin"
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

2008/10/15 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org>:
> David Mackintosh wrote:
>>
>> How off-topic is it to ask precisely what is on-topic for this list
>> if questions and discussions of the included components belong on the
>> support mechanisms for those individual parts, and the rest (ie anaconda
>> and friends) probably belongs in the upstream vendor's forums?
>
> A bit of common sense comes in handy. Talking about something that the
> developers of a component need to weight in on is definitely best suited to
> the upstream lists for the component. If you hit specific issues with the
> implementation on CentOS, thats different.
>
> Random drive by surveys, and request for comments on a blog posts etc are
> definitely a waste of time for *this* list.
>
> --

Karanbir, OK, you're right, although I'd be more flexible, the subject
was prefixed with an "OT:". I didn't ask what do you prefer to be
president of USA if Obama or McCain, neither I was offering a way of
improving sexual power

But again, if you put the rules in that way, ok you're right. Sorry
for annoyances.


--
--
Open Kairos http://www.openkairos.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com
Sergio Belkin -
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Guest
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 12:12 AM, John Newbigin
<jnewbigin@ict.swin.edu.au> wrote:
> Until CentOS 4.7, parted would create DOS partitions > 2Tb.
>
> DOS partitions can not be > 2Tb. This could "...corrupt partition tables and
> ruin filesystem".
>
> The latest version from CentOS 4.7 fixes this (and other) bugs.
>
> John.
>
> Sergio Belkin wrote:
>>
>> Hi, I've read on LPI Linux Certification (Ed O'Reilly) in a nutshell
>> the following thing:
>>
>> "parted, unfortunately, has been known to corrupt partition tables and
>> ruin filesystem."
>>
>> What do you think about it?
>>
>> Greets!

This is awfully presumptuous of a list newcomer like me, but this
reply pretty clearly shows that the list monitor who intervened to
criticize the OP was overreacting. There's always a way to make a
good, on-topic thread out of a fair question.

It's your guys' list, but if you habitually err on the side of
rejecting interested newcomers, you'll eventually run out of
newcomers. Go look at how the FreeBSD'ers have run their lists over
the past 20 years - each question is an opportunity for the old-timers
to share something they've learned - which naturally generates
interest and enthusiasm - and newcomers are taken by the hand rather
than shown the door. "Be generous in what you accept, conservative in
what you send" - right?

Anyway, I'm out of line, so I apologize - but here's another vote for
list inclusiveness. It's not like the dude was asking about football.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Jussi Hirvi
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

Guest (notconfusedaboutthattoday@gmail.com) kirjoitteli (15.10.2008 15:05):
> It's your guys' list, but if you habitually err on the side of
> rejecting interested newcomers, you'll eventually run out of
> newcomers.

I agree - I enjoy reading about the insights of experienced users, even when
nobody is having an urgent, specific problem. Smalltalk greatly helps create
a kind of community feeling. :-)

I see no problem with it, especially when the OT prefix is used.

- Jussi

--
Jussi Hirvi * Green Spot
Topeliuksenkatu 15 C * 00250 Helsinki * Finland
Tel. & fax +358 9 493 981 * Mobile +358 40 771 2098 (only sms)
jussi.hirvi@greenspot.fi * http://www.greenspot.fi

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 02:54 PM
"bruce"
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

thank you!!!!

just who decides what is the correct list of stuff to talk about on this
list...

and then maybe the rest of us should have a centos+ list, for the other 8
billion things that we might run into that we're trying to solve/share
information for..

jeeze!

oh, my bad, this is probably off topic as well!!

this sounds like catch-22!! (yeah, i'm old!, and well read!)

-----Original Message-----
From: centos-bounces@centos.org [mailto:centos-bounces@centos.org]On
Behalf Of David Mackintosh
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:07 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] OT: is parted reliable?


On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 11:13:18PM +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> And Just to remind everyone that no, this is still not a general
> conversation about stuff list.

How off-topic is it to ask precisely what is on-topic for this list
if questions and discussions of the included components belong on the
support mechanisms for those individual parts, and the rest (ie anaconda
and friends) probably belongs in the upstream vendor's forums?

What does that leave? The color of the logo?

(I like the blue.)

--
/oo/
/ /() David Mackintosh |
dave@xdroop.com | http://www.xdroop.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Scott Silva
 
Default OT: is parted reliable?

on 10-15-2008 7:54 AM bruce spake the following:
> thank you!!!!
>
> just who decides what is the correct list of stuff to talk about on this
> list...
>
Usually if you get spanked by one of the people who also have their names on
the CentOS team members list it is time to stop.

Any one else is just fair game! ;-P




--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and
you notice quickly if they don't!!!!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:33 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org