-   -   Squid proxy High Availability (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/176013-squid-proxy-high-availability.html)

lingu 10-14-2008 11:19 AM

Squid proxy High Availability

Hi all,

I am running squid integrated with squidguard.dansguardian,clamav
running on single standalone centos 5 server.Also running webmin for
managing squid.This Squid is serving for 4000 clients.

Since it is serving more users i don't want to take risk by running
single server,if there is any single point of failure will cause all
of my users to standstill.

So i am planned to go for one more Centos5 server with cluster.Can
any one suggest me how to design it either i have to go for common
storage for storing all global files or i need to synchronize both the
server periodically by running instance on local disk of both the
servers.

Below is the scenario currently running on the server

squid is under /etc and squidguard database under /var/lib and
dansguardian config file under /etc/dansguardian and webmin is under
/usr/local

Help me in designing the setup of high availability squid

Regards,
lingu

Barry Brimer 10-14-2008 12:54 PM

Squid proxy High Availability

So i am planned to go for one more Centos5 server with cluster.Can
any one suggest me how to design it either i have to go for common
storage for storing all global files or i need to synchronize both the
server periodically by running instance on local disk of both the
servers.

You could also make them peer caches of one another and you could also use
Linux Virtual Server .. part of the Cluster Suite to load balance ..
although you would need to make sure that you have persistence enabled.

"nate" 10-14-2008 01:57 PM

lingu wrote:

> Help me in designing the setup of high availability squid

I think your better off using a load balancer instead of
a cluster. For one, GFS requires shared storage(typically SAN),
and two load balancing is much simpler than clustering.

LVS is a free linux-based load balancer, so you'd have two
LVS nodes and N+1 squid nodes. I prefer F5 BigIPs as they
are more flexible/much easier to manage though they aren't
that cheap, though if you have 4000 clients it shouldn't
be hard to justify it.

Run round-robin load balancing, and if your load balancer
supports it consider enabling some sort of persistence
such as source IP persistence so that the client IPs get
pinned to the same proxy server(so the cache is consistent)
throughout their session, if that proxy server fails
then the load balancer will fail them over to the
other server seamlessly. Don't worry about keeping the
caches in sync. With BigIP you can configure this in
about 30 seconds, with LVS I'm not sure if it's even
possible.

nate