-   -   my postfix ignores myhostname parameter (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/175607-my-postfix-ignores-myhostname-parameter.html)

Robert Moskowitz 10-13-2008 04:47 PM

my postfix ignores myhostname parameter

David Hláčik wrote:

Hello guys,
I do not know how it is posible :
*vi /etc/postfix/main.cf <http://main.cf>*
# INTERNET HOST AND DOMAIN NAMES
#
# The myhostname parameter specifies the internet hostname of this
# mail system. The default is to use the fully-qualified domain name
# from gethostname(). $myhostname is used as a default value for many
# other configuration parameters.
#
#myhostname = host.domain.tld
myhostname = mail.hlacik.eu
*service postfix restart*
[root@sx1 postfix]# postconf -d myhostname
*myhostname = sx1.labs.hlacik.eu*
What is wrong??

What is in:

/etc/hosts
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethn (where n is the interface number)

???

Ralph Angenendt 10-13-2008 05:00 PM

David Hláčik wrote:
> [root@sx1 postfix]# postconf -d myhostname
> *myhostname = sx1.labs.hlacik.eu*
>

> What is wrong??

postconf -d does not do what you think it does. I guess the machine is called
sx1.labs.hlacik.eu.

Try postconf -n myhostname

Cheers,

Ralph_____________________________________________ __
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Kai Schaetzl 10-13-2008 05:31 PM

David Hlik wrote on Mon, 13 Oct 2008 18:17:57 +0200:

> *myhostname = sx1.labs.hlacik.eu*

Is that the name a gethostname() would show? (a gethostname would either
return the same as the hostname command or a host command on the IP, I
think). Then it makes sense.
mail.hlacik.eu points to another machine. You do not want to send out any
mail from your machine with a name that is pointing somewhere else.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

mouss 10-13-2008 07:16 PM

David Hláčik a écrit :
> Hello guys,
>
> I do not know how it is posible :
>
> *vi /etc/postfix/main.cf <http://main.cf>*
>

> # INTERNET HOST AND DOMAIN NAMES
> #
> # The myhostname parameter specifies the internet hostname of this
> # mail system. The default is to use the fully-qualified domain name
> # from gethostname(). $myhostname is used as a default value for many
> # other configuration parameters.
> #
> #myhostname = host.domain.tld
> myhostname = mail.hlacik.eu
>
> *service postfix restart*

I know you're testing. but once you get a "stable" config, restart is
often unnecessary. in most cases a 'postfix reload' is enough (and even
that isn't necessary in general, as most postfix services are relatively
short lived and will reread the conf at some time). of course, if you
change an IP:port, ..., you need to restart.

> [root@sx1 postfix]# postconf -d myhostname
> *myhostname = sx1.labs.hlacik.eu*

the 'd' in "-d" stands for "default". Use

# postconf myhostname
or
# postconf -n myhostname
or
# postconf -h myhostname

instead.

> What is wrong??

nothing, except that you forgot to RTFM ;-p