Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Robert Spangler

Default looking for good web based DNS script to check nameservers

On Friday 10 October 2008 09:54, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a good web based script / website that can do a full
> ananlysis on DNS & namservers.
>
> Can someone please recommend something good to use?

Try this one;

http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheckdomainf.aspx

> And if possible, if it could show any errors, or even make suggestions
> (like "TTL is too high", or " you don't have an MX, please ad one",
> etc)

TTL's are your choice. Who better then yourself can say if a TTL is to high
or to low? Not every domain has a MX record if they don't have mail so again
this is up to you.

--

Regards
Robert

It is not just an adventure.
It is my job!!

Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org

Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Robert Spangler wrote on Fri, 10 Oct 2008 20:09:54 -0400:

> Who better then yourself can say if a TTL is to high
> or to low?

Well, it could check whether you are within the limits set by the registry
or not. Quite a few registries give exact limits and enforce a certain
nameserver structure as well (have at least two and not in the same
subnet). I guess that is what he's looking for.
Good tools are at dnsstuff.net, they are not free anymore, though.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-14-2008, 12:33 PM
"Brent L. Bates"

FYI. I tried the Web site Robert Spangler posted:

http://www.checkdns.net/quickcheckdomainf.aspx

We failed some of their tests because THEIR DNS isn't set up properly.

--

Brent L. Bates (UNIX Sys. Admin.)
M.S. 912 Phone757) 865-1400, x204